It is absolutely no secret that writers (including moi) looooooove to talk about their writing and/or themselves.
And with the Writer’s Ink Challenge, we can do just that!
Also this month is writing-themed IF YOU CAN’T TELL.
This was actually supposed to be a book review but that was canceled you’re welcome.
However, it has come to my knowledge that this challenge doesn’t cover everything??? SO, I have added one more question that I feel is important to me. #yourewelcome
Also I just wanted this to stick with the FAE tradition of NINE.
(I told you everyone knows how much I like to talk about writing).
- Thank your nominator(s)
- Answer at least 8 questions about writing
- Nominate at least 5 people
when did you first start writing?
I first started writing seriously in second grade. My first story ever was about some friends going into the jungle for a vacation (hence the name “The Jungle Story”), and then they meet an evil guy and stuff happens. The characters were me and my classmates. Creative, right.
have you always been interested in writing?
I guess??? I mean, I always liked writing stories since second grade, and it didn’t really become anything serious until a few years ago.
(And to answer your un-asked question, yes I do hope that I will ALWAYS be interested in writing, though I can’t guarantee it. Queens are very #indecisive.)
why do you like writing?
Oh, gosh. There are so many things that I like about writing. You have the freedom to express. You can create whole worlds and people and stories by writing. You can tell use words to say something without actually SAYING it. (Shy bean right here.) You can use your voice. You have the ability to bond with others through it. You can and will fall in love with the worlds and people and stories you build. YOU HAVE NO LIMITS.
And some other reasons I “forgot”. (Because I don’t like all this sentimentality going on here.)
what genre do you write in?
I believe this question should be “what genres”??? BECAUSE WHO JUST WRITES IN ONE GENRE.
Here is the very odd truth. I write:
- I haven’t yet gotten to the point where I write like epic fantasy (btw I REALLY don’t like fantasy creatures except for HP and KOTLC). But the fantasy that I’ve written in the past is about magical abilities and powers. That stuff.
- Also my newest story idea is fantasy. ALL ABOUT THAT MAGICCCCCCCC.
- I’ve written a genetic modification story with my friend Amelie, which we need to finish! I also am writing (???) IMS, which has sci-fi elements like mutations and… um… brain stuff.
- I DON’T like to write (or prefer to read, except for TLC) sci-fi including outer space stuff.
- My dystopian isn’t your regular “Divergent” or “Hunger Games” thing. I write… oppressive governments that control you and worlds that have strange rules and systems that the people think are beneficial to them but actually aren’t.
- In IMS, there are a LOT of the weird systems in place that the people think is WONDERFUL but *spoiler* is actually not. And there are secrets. SECRETSSSSSS.
I realize that you didn’t ask this but shhhh I want to write more fantasy, more actual sci-fi (I have a genetic-y story simmering in the back of my mind), and I really REALLY want to write a dark story/dark retelling. I just want to have a dark MC. I also have a dark retelling planned but it’s not that great.
AND I WANT TO WRITE FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF AN ANTI-HERO. THEY ARE AMAZING.
who or what motivates you to write?
Well, I think what keeps me writing is because of my love for it, and my want to tell a story to the world. I also think that the fact that one day I want to make this hobby a job and make money from it and be paid to do what I love (aka write) and ACTUALLY PUBLISH A BOOK OF MINE HOLY COW is very motivational.
I think that seeing other aspiring writers’ work is very inspiring, as well as authors’ books right now. After all, reading books is the foundation of writing AND I LOVE BOOKS.
do you write poetry?
I do! In fact, I’m participating in NaPoWriMo, and you can read all of my poems here. My poetry writing style has really changed:
- Happy and sparkly. Yay the world is full of rainbows and happiness. Let’s write about nature and beauty!
- Call to action. The world is full of icky things but we can change it! As long as we take actiooooooon.
- Negative. The world is full of horrible negativity and I’m a negative person we should all be negative let’s go pessimismmmmm.
- Darknessssss. HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEEEEEEEEEND
- Negative. Okay so the world’s not THAT dark but it’s still pretty bad ick.
- Some weird thing that talks about self-love (I BLAME MILK AND HONEY) and basically what I call “poem aesthetics”??? I honestly don’t know, guys.
have you ever written a story with a friend?
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH AHAHAHA AHHAHAHA.
I have written soooo many stories with friends YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW.
I’ve written a fantasy-ish thing with six friends. I’ve written a genetic modification story with the lovely Amelie (which I mentioned earlier). I wrote a mystery with Violet and a nameless little blob. I tried to write stories with Ivy. And I’m pretty sure there are more but I FORGOT.
*Also all these stories failed and have not been completed because we are #greatwriters.
how do you write your stories (first person, third person)?
I used to write pretty much everything in first person past. I’m pretty sure that every (young) writer starts out like this, because it’s easier. Nooooooow, I write third person past. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT SOMEONE PLEASE MARRY ME TO THIS WONDERFUL PERSON. (hahaha get it i’m so punny.)
I still need to work out my voice though? Because I’m either going to write it sophisticatedly and elegantly (which I LOVE), or sarcastically and humorously (which I ALSO love).
(I’ve actually just recently passed a phase where I hated first person and would shun a book if it was written in that. I KNOW. I’M HORRIBLE. BUT NOW IT’S OVER.)
I really want to try third person present, though (which I attempted here), and if I WERE to go back to first person, it would be for dark stories that you really need to see the perspective of the person, and it would be in present tense.
where do you see yourself writing-wise in one month? one year? ten years?
Let’s do my hopes vs. reality, shall we???
1 month: Planning and brainstorming my magic story. Also editing the first five chapters of IMS for a writing contest.
1 year: In the middle of writing the magic story, and outlining another story. Ideally I’d have written the magic story already but HAHAHA THAT AIN’T GON’ HAPPEN.
10 years: I’ll be 23 in ten years??? Hmm okay. Be finished with a couple of (good) novels. Perhaps looking for a publisher??? Maybe already being repped??? Finishing whatever degree I need (college matters, children) and writing a novel/novels on the side.
1 month: Failing to think of any ideas for my magic story. (This will be true.) Also failing at editing IMS and/or dying from editing.
1 year: Struggling to get through writing my magic story (or not even writing it anymore???) and having no inspiration for another story. #yippee Or just failing at outlining.
10 years: Having finished very bad novels and getting rejected by many publishing companies. Also struggling to find income but LOOK I GOT REJECTED AGH.
I’m not pessimistic, just realistic???
- Grace @ The Girl Upstairs
- Allie Taylor @ The Depth of My Faith
- Amelie @ Scary Pear
- Ivy @ Flaming Ivy
- Violet @ Vibrantly Violet
- Kellyn Roth @ Reveries
- Madi @ Madi Grace
- Josie @ Josie on the Go
- Anika Joy @ This Journey Called Life
So that was nine??? But hush I’m being generous.
- Sarah @ For All Who Wander (I demand you to do it in the comments or email???)
- Abi @ The Freckled Fashionista (if you want to post writing-related things on your blog, I know you usually don’t 🙂 )
- also April @ April Dreams (comments possibly???)
- And YOU! I know everyone does this, but seriously, if you want to do this, DO IT! I, the Mango Queen, give you permission to do so.
- (Now you have permission go do it little ignorant mango.)
the copy and paste-able questions (because i’m KIND)
- When did you first start writing?
- Have you always been interested in writing?
- Why do you like writing?
- What genre do you write in?
- Who or what motivates you to write?
- Do you write poetry?
- Have you ever written a story with a friend?
- How do you write your stories (first person or third person, past tense or present tense?
- **BONUS QUESTION** Where do you see yourself writing-wise in one month? One year? Ten years?
(Also I added the “past tense or present tense” part because THAT IS IMPORTANT.)
do YOU like to talk about writing too? feel free to talk about it with me in the comments! you know i’ll join. 😉 what motivates YOU to write? and are you freaking out because you spent all of your free time on this post??? (this is the dilemma i am facing for you guys right now be grateful)
(oh wait. i still have an hour left of free time. classic may.)