Dude I was given a chance to talk about writing again??? No way am I not doing this.
It is 100% obvious that I LOVE TALKING ABOUT WRITING. Like it’s so fun??? I don’t understand. Why can’t I WRITE as much as I TALK about it? I’d honestly get so much more done.
But truly, I think all writers secretly like talking about writing rather than actually writing. It gives us an excuse. It lets us procrastinate, and procrastination is OBVIOUSLY MY BEST FRIEND
and not at all my worst enemy.
So when the amazing Madeline over at A Paper Reverie nominated me for this wonderful tag, I SQUEALED because 1) Madeline is one of the bloggers I look up to like the smol bean I am, and 2) I love to talk about writing??? Nooooo.
But first, go check out (and follow???) her blog! It’s aesthetic, enlightening, and she’s such a wonderful little bean! Check out her post here.
(Note that some of these questions were answered in The Writer’s Ink Challenge post I did, but hey. I can always talk about writing. You can always listen again. And I did add some little FUN FACTS for ya.)
what genres, styles, and topics do you write about?
- I mostly write a mix of fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian.
- The fantasy I wrote was mostly of powers and abilities and such.
- The sci-fi I wrote was like some… sci-fi aspect. Like a mutation. (whencough cough* IMS.)
- And the dystopian I wrote was basically messed-up-future-worlds-where-the-government-is-controlling-but-people-think-it’s-perfect.
- Lol basically I am a weirdo writer.
- I really really want to try and write contemporary and magical realism though. I’ve been getting into those genres, and it just seems like really awesome.
- And don’t forget that I really want to write a dark fantasy! Or a dark retelling! Or a fairy tale retelling in general! But dark and stabby is great too!
FUN FACT: The novel I am planning right now (titled “magic story” because I’m #creative) is fantasy. But you probably already knew this.
- I used to write in first person (I think most writers do when they start out).
- But now, I just CANNOT write in anything other than third person. I love it so much and I MUCHLY prefer it over first. And I will GLADLY read books in third person.
- I also write in past tense, because it just comes easiest with third person, but I’d looove to try third person present! I’ve seen it done, and I’ve read and enjoyed it.
FUN FACT: I’ve only written third person for three stories though. (And all of them were unfinished.)
- What does “topics” mean??? I honestly don’t know, yo.
- I guess some elements I like to include in my writing include magic/powers/abilities, the whole messed up future world thing, and… um… people. Obviously.
- Some things I’d LOOOVE to write about though are: ghosts, libraries, magical food (and books because why not), unraveling skin, masks, some O Wondrous Clock, and a bunch of other things.
FUN FACT: I want to write about some of my beliefs one day, as well as something with cancer because (here’s the fun fact part) my mom has cancer―leukemia. So it would be nice to “honor” her in some way. (DON’T WORRY SHE’S SITLL ALIVE.)
how long have you been writing?
My love for writing stories first arrived in second grade. But technically, I started writing “seriously” in fifth grade. So… two years??? I sound so young omg.
FUN FACT: Second grade was also when I changed how I wrote my a’s. (There’s that cursive a, and then the a you see in this font. I write the “font” type of a.) #geniusatchildhood
why do you write?
- to express
- to create worlds and people and stories
- to say something without actually SAYING it
- to use my voice
- to bond with others
- to fall in love with what I create
- to TELL A STORY
Also because my mind is crazy and I need some place to let it all out.
FUN FACT: To continue this lovely question…
when is the best time to write?
I don’t really know??? I just write when I write.* Usually after blogging + homework + other nice things that I should get done but don’t because of #BLOGGING. *glares*
I guess I like to write at night. I mean that’s when I have the time to anyways. But one day I want to wake up early and just write. Because night = tired and morning = tired but then refreshed.
FUN FACT: I was brainstorming for my magic story the other night. And then I just like fell asleep. #productive
*Also known as when I force myself to write.
what parts of writing do you love and hate?
- The actual writing. Writing is so much fun! Like you just… write. Isn’t that just amazing???
- The characters. Characters are my FAVORITE part of writing. And reading. I will always love my characters more than anything—more than plot, than setting.
- Brainstorming, or actually, getting ideas. There’s something just so awesome about getting ideas (whether they be complete story ideas, or ideas FOR a story). Like I CAN IMAGINE SOMETHING WOWOWOW.
- That feeling of accomplishment. Whether it’s from finishing a chapter or writing 5K words in a day (never gonna happen) or just FIGURING A PLOT HOLE OUT—I loooooove that proud feeling like you just succeeded in taking over the world.*
- Constructive criticism/good feedback/fangirly squeals. There’s nothing better than having readers give you awesome critiques and feedback. Or even squeal over your writing. IT’S LIKE YOUR OWN LITTLE FANDOM. (Plus we writers are shy in sharing our work and when people actually like it??? *dies*)
- Improving as a writer. #progress
- And finally, the love I feel towards my world. As in, I love that feeling of absolute adoration towards my writing and my world and my characters and my plot and just EVERYTHING. I LOVE THE LOVE.
FUN FACT: I scream inside each time you compliment my writing.
- Editing. I guess I have a love-hate relationship with edits??? Because some days I’ll just be like, “Oh yeah editing is fun let’s edit two chapters in a row and then maybe do more!!!” And other days I’m like, “Um no I’m not editing at all today JUST NO.”
- But editing is so boringggggg. IT’S SO LONG. AND YOU READ OVER YOUR WRITING OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN AN ENDLESS CYCLE. IT NEVER STOPS.
- Getting overwhelmed with plot bunnies. As much as I love getting ideas, I CANNOT GET ATTACKED BY THEM. I don’t have tiiiiiime. (I also hate not having any ideas at all, because then what do you do with your life.)
- Criticism not put nicely/negative feedback. Well duh. Try to be a little nice please???
- Doubting/comparing myself. I hate this. I try to think of myself/my writing positively, but something I can’t. And comparing my writing to others’ writing doesn’t help either.
- No motivation. No motivation to write is just HORRIBLE. You feel so stuck, and you WANT to keep writing, but you just caaaaaaaaan’t.
- When you end up copying something on accident. I get inspired A LOT by things like books. And then my story suspiciously starts to sound like that book… *cries* NO. STOP. I DON’T WANT THIS.
- The feeling of giving up. I HAVE TO KEEP GOING BUT I CAAAAAAN’T.
FUN FACT: Sometimes I get really defensive when I get feedback from other writers (but it depends on tone).
how do you overcome writer’s block?
For me, writer’s block comes in the form of lack of motivation. How I overcome that lack of motivation is read what I wrote before of that novel (WITHOUT EDITING, of course) and get myself immersed in my story again.
OR I just spam-text a writer friend until they give in and LET ME DEFEAT THEM IN WORD WARS. #competitive
But writer’s block is not knowing what to write (right??? hahaha #unintentionalpun) Usually my lack of motivation is that—lack of motivation to write. I already have things plotted out (though not as thoroughly as I’d like). So I guess I have plotter’s block??? I haven’t plotted enough novels out to know, though.
FUN FACT: I will love you forever if you word war with me.
are you working on something at the moment?
Yes I am! I’m editing my sci-fi/dystopian novel IF MEMORY SERVES—at least, the first five chapters.
I’m also brainstorming ideas for my new fantasy novel, “magic story”. LET’S TAKE A PEEK AT MY INSANE RANTING, RIGHT???
FUN FACT: I bet you didn’t know that Lilah’s dad is trash and keeps remarrying. *nodnod*
what are your writing goals this year?
YAS I FREAKING LOVE GOALS.
By the way, note that my self-confidence is low and I’m 99% sure that I will not be finishing a novel this year. *thumbs up*
- Successfully edit the first five chapters of IMS. For a writing contest. That I hopefully will win??? (I won last year so maybe???)
- Successfully outline my magic story. I need to put “successfully” because I could always outline, just horribly.
- Start writing my magic story! Obviously not FINISH it because I’m a smol beginner writer with no stamina or motivation.
- Write 5K in a day. Because I have low self-esteem and can’t aim any higher.
- Think of new novel ideas and write them down. And maybe plot them out??? So then I can just finish a project and then move right to another one??? Smoothly and without tears, folks.
- Get my own Pinterest account. Aesthetics needs.
- ACTUALLY WRITE AND NOT PROCRASTINATE. Well now we know which one May will DEFINITELY achieve!!!
FUN FACT: May will be doing a goals post sometime soon where she will fangirl more about how fun it is to make goals. May also likes to talk in third person??? (She likes to write in third person too.)
i tag… everyone who wants to do this.
Because I’m being #thatblogger.
So I just ranted about writing for 1000+ words (you’re welcome), but now it’s time to rant about something else!
Hopefully this will be a short rant.
TOMORROW’S MOTHER’S DAY, GUYS. But beyond just giving gifts and stuff, you have to show how much your mama means to you.
To those of you who are mothers: You are wonderful people, working hard each day (unless you aren’t) to make sure your children are safe and loved. Keep doing it. The children appreciate it. ❤
To those of you who lost your mothers: “Sorry” won’t help anything, but as long as you keep remembering her, her spirit will never fade, and she will always be with you. ❤
To those of you who never experienced that motherly love: ❤ We’re here for you. ❤
Tomorrow, and every day, remind your mom how much you love her, because she has worked hard and endured so many things to provide the best possible life for you (unless she hasn’t, of course). Also remember that one day she will die and you will never see her again. #morbidthoughts
LOVE YOU, MAMA. ❤
(Look I kept up the theme of “love”. I love talking about writing??? I love my mother??? #genius)
I think mental illness is an incredibly important issue, one that isn’t addressed enough or treated as seriously as it should be. People say that they are “depressed”, some complain of “panic attacks”—while most of them haven’t even experienced the real things.
And mental illness isn’t just depression or anxiety or panic attacks. It’s much much more. I don’t know a lot about mental illness, definitely not as much as I should, but I do know that it has sooo many stigmas against it, and it shouldn’t.
To those who are suffering from mental illness: You are loved. Please, please keep fighting, no matter what. You may not be okay right now, but you must believe and hope that one day, you will be. There are good days and bad days. Try to see every day as a good day, because the bad days exist when we can’t see the good. ❤
To those who know someone suffering from mental illness: Support them all that you can. They are fighting, or maybe they’re not, but you have to fight alongside with them. Please, please show your love to them. ❤
To those whose mental health may be slipping: You lose the battle when you stop fighting. Don’t lose. Win. Keep fighting. Find someone you trust. But most of all, never stop hoping for the better. ❤
To everyone: Take care of yourself, and your health, especially your mental health. Your mind is a fragile thing.
If you can talk about Mental Health Awareness week on your blog, I hope you will. Mental illness is a serious issue, and mental health is something that you have to take special care of.
do you want to do the writers’ tag? (by all means, feel free to!) what do YOU love and hate about writing? any writing goals for the year? how are you celebrating mother’s day? and do you know anyone who is suffering from mental illness???
PS i changed the font of the body text, if you can tell/noticed. this post is also 2000+ words I’M SORRY.