There’s only one word to describe August: STRESSFUL.
Stressful school, stressful writing project, stressful plot bunnies, stressful reading, STRESSFUL EVERYTHING OKAY. And then on top of that, Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, and while I’m okay*, THERE WAS SO MUCH RAIN AND GLOOM AND UGH.
Everything just made August a very dreary unenjoyable month. (Read: stressful school.)
But! While it wasn’t very enjoyable, I do feel like August was a pretty overall great month, productivity-wise! There were lots of really awesome things about it. Okay so the hurricane kind of cancels it all out??? BUT MOVING ON.
*I’m sure you were all worried for me. Right??? RIGHT???
I read 8 books this month! I thought I’d only get to seven but then I managed to squeeze in one more HALLELULJAH.
Tho the stupid book I’m reading for school got in the way as;dfljaslkfja.
This month was really weird??? I was unmotivated to read, and while I enjoyed most of the books I read, I just felt kind of… disconnected.
I also asked permission from my mom to get them physical ARCs (because I’m a minor and I need that), and she said yes! I lowkey requested like… twenty books but whatever???
And then, just a few days ago, some ARCs arrived in the mail!!! They were The Nowhere Girls, Starfish, and An Enchantment of Ravens. I’m so so surprised that I got AEOR since it’s SUPER hyped??? But I’m actually the most excited for The Nowhere Girls. :’)
Also I thought I’d read books like Shatter Me and Caraval, but I didn’t. (Sorry, Jackie and Ju!) Then I’d thought I’d read The Book Thief and others, but then I checked out some new releases and ditched them #oops.
So that’s why I have two
really ugly photos! Also, did I on purposely cover the ugly book cover faces with flowers??? Yes I did. (Looking at you, Juliette and Tolstoy.)
~titles link to Goodreads page bc I have no reviews~
- Asking for It Louise O’Neill // AS;DFLJASLDFAJ this is SUCH an important book with amazing messages and PLEASE READ IT. That ending thooooo. ★★★★☆ [4.5 stars]
- The Dark Prophecy Rick Riordan // This book took me six days and I blame it for putting me behind but Uncle Rick!! The usual sassiness!! Need the sequel!! ★★★★☆
- Highly Illogical Behavior John Corey Whaley // AMAZING book with great rep and brought out so many emotions in me. >.< ★★★★☆ [4.5 stars]
- The Careful Undressing of Love Corey Ann Haydu // This was so… meh??? It was good, but also bad??? Actually I forgot what even was bad about it oops. ★★★☆☆ [2.5 stars]
- Our Dark Duet Victoria Schwab // One word: A;LDFJA;LSJFD;LJSDFA. My heart is broken and my soul is shattered, thanks Schwab. ★★★★★
- Always and Forever, Lara Jean Jenny Han // As usual, the rep is amazing and it’s just light and fluffy! Great conclusion to the series. ★★★★☆
- The Forbidden Wish Jessica Khoury // Pretty sappy but I love it. Looooove the setting + mythology! Plus ALADDIN IS SO SMOL. <33 ★★★★☆
- Tash Hearts Tolstoy Kathryn Ormshee // I actually enjoyed this one!! I just felt a little bored??? Something was off and it just… jdaf;lksdjfads. ★★★☆☆ [3.5 stars]
So this isn’t really a “haul” but LOL I ACTUALLY DON’T CARE.
- Starfish Akemi Dawn Bowman // Pretty cover + half-Asian MC??? UM, YES PLEASE. I sorta forgot what it’s about (something about art school?) but heeeey it looks cool and I’ve heard good things about it!
- The Nowhere Girls Amy Reed // I’M ACTUALLY THE MOST EXCITED FOR THIS ONE. It has a pretty cover (ofc) and it also talks about rape culture and um yes please??? GAH I’m so excited aj;lfkas;dlfka.
- An Enchantment of Ravens Margaret Rogerson // I’d originally requested for the above two, but later asked for this one. AND I GOT IT??? Shook. It has a pretty cover and it’s SO hyped, so hopefully it doesn’t disappoint!
What can you take away from this besides being jealous??? That I have excellent taste in book covers.
favorite book of the month?
Wow, only one book this month was a five-star??? I’M DEFINITELY GETTING MEANER. But this, without a doubt, goes to Our Dark Duet! This actually damaged me even more (I was already damaged before by Schwab), but I still loved it.
disappointment of the month?
The Careful Undressing of Love was a disappointment. It was so promising, but it didn’t execute. Or at least, SOMETHING didn’t work it…
I NEED TO WRITE MY REVIEWS DANG IT.
Tash Hearts Tolstoy was also slightly disappointing. I literally finished it two days ago and I totally forgot why I didn’t like it so YAY!!!
most fun review to write?
Ha. Ha. Ha.
I reviewed like NOTHING.
The only review I wrote in August FOR a book I read in August was my review of Asking for It. Which I guess was cool because I got to rant about rape in it??? And god knows I’m extremely passionate about that. :’)
- I reached 800 followers! In 7 months of blogging! Yay!
Also I realize I said I’d been blogging for 8 months in a post but hahhahaha nope I suck at math.
- 13 posts
- 5,998 views (SO FRICKING CLOSE)
- 1,337 likes
- 1,505 comments
- 102 WordPress followers + 1 email follower
- I definitely had more blogging-related posts this month, because that’s what people wanted more of apparently???
- I also shared a lot of blogging secrets and GAHGHAG why do I keep doing this they’re supposed to be secretssssss.
- I took down my Posted Writings page
because of someoneand also redid my header and some widgets!
- I’m planning on redoing my Lovely Blogs page so that it’s just my favorite blogs instead of RANDOM BLOGS WANTING TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES. Like yay for promoting!!! But who r u.
top posts of the month?
I’m honestly REALLY SURPRISED that one of my top posts were my school goals??? What are you doing with your life if you want to read my school goals???
favorite post of the month?
Guys, I just really loved this post, okay??? IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TO WRITE. It was full of salt and me raging and being uncharacteristically rude* and it was ALL VERY FUN. I’m thinking of doing a Part 2???
posts i loved?
- Cait talked about blogger weirdness and I??? relate??? Especially with the humor one because how the heck do you guys find me “funny”.
- Ilsa discussed giving genres second chances, and she made me THINK… I know. Hilarious. But I agree and disagree and a;dlfja;lsdkjfads???
- Ju(lianna) finally posted after three agonizing weeks without a word, and I am very conflicted on what type of reader I am???
- May posted on her new blog for the first time ever omg hi welcome to the community I’m so excited to see what you’ll be posting!!!
- Michelle taught us how to make aesthetics and am I screaming right now about how
aesthetic she ishelpful this is??? Yes.
- MARIE IS BACK OMG OMG OMG WE’VE ALL MISSED HER VERY MUCH (BUT I MISSED HER MOST)!!! <333
- Analee made fun of unrealistic elements in YA books and I relate SO SO much and laughed SO SO much. (This girl is hilarious???)
- Beth discussed unrealistic romance in YA and I agreeeeeeeeee. (And she mentions Legend, one of my fav series ever!)
- Mikaela shares book blogger insecurities and I sadly relate… 1) Why are all her posts so relatable and 2) WHY AM I SO INSECURE.
- Abbie guides us on successful to-do lists and IT IS SOOOO HELPFUL (and funny!)
especially for a person who procrastinates everything.
- Madeline switched to self-hosted WordPress and OMG PLEASE CHECK HER BLOG OUT!!! She is SUCH an amazing blogger who does not have enough followers for how awesome, aesthetic, and helpful her blog is. She is such a sweet girl as well, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE visit her blog and give it a follow!!
- Wow this is a long list but HEY I LOVED A LOT OF POSTS OKAY.
around the internet?
- Ehhhhh not much happened. Concerning ME, at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- One of my GR status updates got over 200 likes and I’m pathetically very proud of that.
- Oh yes, VE Schwab (a favorite author of mine) signed a $1 MILLION BOOK DEAL with Tor to write a new series featuring the surviving cast of the Shades of Magic trilogy. HAVE MY DREAMS BEEN ANSWERED??? DO I HAVE A NEW REASON TO LIVE???
- Also can I just,, lowkey BECOME Schwab. I mean like, $1 million YES PLEASE.
*GASP. I KNOW. Me??? Rude??? Never.
- First of all, remember that writing contest I mentioned in posts earlier??? Well if you don’t, too bad, because I entered and won!!! This is my third year entering, and I’ve won two times, so I’m pretty proud of myself.
- But UGH MY ENTRY WAS SUCKY. It was an old project of mine (IMS), and while I hold it very close to my heart… BLECH.
- (Okay so I found out I won yesterday so it didn’t count as August BUT WHATEVER.)
- (I’ll probably share it again in my September MMM. #noshame)
- But it’s sad because I’ll be in California during the awards ceremony. That takes place at a book festival. With 10+ authors I want to sign my books. Including Marie Lu.* *CRIES*
- Anyways, enough whining!! I planned out three plot bunnies, and then at the end of the month, I had you vote on which one you wanted me to write. I still kinda haven’t decided on any yet (I’M VERY INDECISIVE OKAY) buuut I’ve narrowed it down to two!!
- Oh, and if you wanted to know, the winner of the poll was the Peter Pan Mental Illness Retelling, with Of Flowers and Skin in second, and Gold Glitter third!
- I also hosted a writing project called The Scribbler’s Challenge, and it was SO MUCH FUN! Sure it was stressful and pressuring and overwhelming, but like I said: FUN!!!
- I wrote responses to my own prompts so that was cool too.
I sorta kinda really hate what I wrote tho.
*I REALIZE I’VE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS MANY TIMES BUT I’M STILL VERY VERY SALTY OKAY???
- Well first off, I STARTED SCHOOL.
- *sits down and cries*
Why couldn’t I have stayed standing and cried.
- I already started procrastinating on the second week… not good. BUT now I’m better about not procrastinating so yay for that! However, LOTS OF STRESS.
- On better news, I got a new phone! It’s a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I didn’t like the Edge part but 1) I like it now! and 2) whatever I can get, right???
- IT HAS SUCH A GREAT CAMERA OMG I’M CRYING.
- I have unlimited data which is weird because my parents only have 2 gigs, but hey I’m not complaining. :))
- Then Hurricane Harvey hit and the effects were WAY larger than we’d expected. It was originally supposed to be three days of rain, THEN A WHOLE WEEK, and then three days. So??? I’m very confused???
- All my heart goes out to my fellow Texans who are affected by this! (And NOT just Houston. I mean, obviously Houston, but DON’T FORGET THE OTHER CITIES!!)
- Oh, and dance company (team) rehearsals started up again! Last year I was in 7 pieces and now I’m in… 11. WOWOOWOW THAT’S A BIG CHANGE RIGHT THERE.
- Oh yeah, and it was my mom’s birthday! We did like… nothing. I feel bad but I think as you get older you start to not like celebrating the fact that you’re, well, OLDER.
- Sorry, mom.
read at least eight books this month ✓
Exactly eight, man, I’M ON TOP OF MY GAME.
ask permission for and start requesting for arcs! ✓
I DID AND I DID! As I said before, I received my ARCs just a few days ago and AFJ;ALDSJFA;LSDKFJA I’M SO EXCITED.
interact less on goodreads ㄨ
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA I AM HONESTLY SUCH A FUNNY PERSON.
plan out all my plot bunnies ✓
Well it didn’t say FULLY plan out all my plot bunnies… I did plan??? Just not very good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
at the end of the month, choose a plot bunny to work with ✓ㄨ
It’s not certain but I have narrowed it down to two!! *cheers*
don’t procrastinate writing ㄨ
Weeeeeeeeeell that didn’t work out.
reach 850 followers ㄨ
NOPE! And I’m completely okay with that! I’m currently at 845 (so close, I know) but hey, numbers don’t mean that much do they??
fix header and goodreads graphic ✓✓✓ㄨ
I fixed the header but not the Goodreads graphic??? Heck, I even changed the Goodreads challenge thing AND fixed up some text widgets AND replaced the bio image. GeT oN mY lEvEl!?!??!
DON’T FLOP THE SCRIBBLER’S CHALLENGE ✓?
I THINK I DID FINE BUT IDK DID I???
drink more water ㄨ
Hahahahhaha nope. And it sucks because now we can’t bring our fricking BACKPACKS to our classes and I’m way too lazy to carry all my binders + books AND my water bottle??? So I have to drink from the fountain and I hate tap water.
fix my posture ㄨ
HAHAHA I’m such a failure. :’) Can someone please just randomly scream “BACK!!!” at me everyday??? Thanks.
PRIORTIZE SCHOOL OVER BLOGGING ✓ㄨ
SORT OF SORT OF SORT OF I’M BETTER THAN I WAS LAST YEAR THO!!
read at least ten books this month
So I DO have school (which sucks), but I’m planning on doing ~something~ that’ll give me more time soooooooo.
review my arcs???
Two of the ARCs I got are releasing on September 26th, so I need to get reviews up for them ASAP!
write!! my!! reviews!!!
AHAHAHAHHAHA I’M SO BEHIND I HAVE LIKE 8 REVIEWS TO WRITE RIP.
finish plotting out + character developing whatever novel i’m going with!
I need to get this done in September (OMGGG SEPTEMBER ALREADY ADSJ;FLASJDA), so that in October, I can outline, and in November, I can write!
write more poetry
I love love LOVE writing poetry, and with the responses to the Scribbler prompts that I did, I felt like I took on a more lyrical style, and I want to transfer it over to poems!
don’t procrastinate writing
This will probably be a third failure in a row for this goal but that ~something~ will surely help me get closer to achieving it?? Hopefully??
reach 860 followers
So you probably know that ~something~ from this goal but I’M NOT GONNA SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!
fix the dang goodreads graphic
FIX IT MAY FIX IT JUST FIIIIIIIIX IIIIIIIIT.
***** and **-******
I’m very secretive, but this has to do with that ~something~ and I don’t want to give it away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
drink more water
I ACTUALLY NEED TO DO THIS???
fix my posture
I’m not kidding can I hire someone to email me daily and say “MAY YOUR BACK STRAIGHTEN YOUR BACK”???
get nine hours of sleep at least twice a week
SO. I know that nine hours of sleep every day is NOT going to happen for me, so I want to get it at least twice a week! I just procrastinate all day and then do everything at night rip.
A surprise! And let’s just say… it’s a bad surprise. I’M SOWWY. But this is good for me and my well-being and you don’t want me to SUFFER, do you??? You want the very very best for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also you can probably guess it.
Daaaaaaaance. Classes start this Tuesday, and Company has already started rehearsals. I’m in more pieces this year for Company, and I’m also in a higher level for dance classes, so I have to work my butt off HAHAHHHAAHA help.
Reading and writing! At least I hope so??? I want to read ten books this month, and I’ll honestly be SO happy if I get that. (My record is 12 in a month bless my pathetic soul.) And I also want to just WRITE more adfj;ajsdflsdja;dljdf;as.
how was YOUR august? have you gone back to school yet? what was your favorite read of the month? any goals for september? were you affected by the hurricane? and can you guess my ~something~??? (no, you can’t) (you probably can)
P.S. this is like 2.5k words long rip I’M SO SORRY