It is now November.
I’M SO EXCITED. November is probably my favorite month out of the whole year??? Because 1) my birthdaaaaay, 2) it FINALLY gets colder, 3) the name is just really aesthetic, and 4) NaNoWriMo. Altho this year I’m not that excited about NaNo because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M WRITING ABOUT.
But??? I can’t believe it’s November??? I swear it was just yesterday that I was getting out of school but that was actually half a year ago. And can you believe it’ll be 2018 in TWO MONTHS? I just got used to writing 2017 god darn it.
But I’m getting ahead of myself! This post is all about October and I actually did a LOT last month, despite feeling like I did it all years ago.
I read 9 books this month!! My goal was 8 and I’m happy that I hit my average amount of books read per month. I mean, I literally crammed in 4 books last week, and 4 books in 7 days??? Unheard of.
(Okay fine I had 8-hour bus trips so I had a lot of time to read.)
The first half of the month, I just read a lot of crappy books.
Or I was too mean towards them (FINALLY). But near the end, I read some really great books!! I’m still really shook that I had FOUR 2-stars this month (out of 9 books!) and ZERO 5-stars????? Wow.
- Daughter of the Burning City Amanda Foody // yikes. what a disappointment. didn’t care about the characters and the setting was so CONFUSING. ★★☆☆☆
- Because You Love to Hate Me Ameriie // this literally was all trash except for a few stories. what happened here. also victoria schwab disappointed me??? ★★☆☆☆ [2.5]
- Saints and Misfits SK Ali // so cute but also handled heavy topics! super important and such great rep. loved the characters! ★★★★☆
- The Epic Crush of Genie Lo FC Yee // WOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE. yay for asian characters but it was so young and childish and cringy and a;sdjfalsdjfa. ★★☆☆☆
- The Language of Thorns Leigh Bardugo // what else did I expect from my QUEEN. gorgeously written stories that i loved so much, and beautiful?? artwork?? ★★★★★ [4.5]
- Here Lies Daniel Tate Cristin Terrill // i am SO SHOOK over that ending????? not fair at all omg. loved the mystery feel and kept me so intrigued! ★★★★☆
- A List of Cages Robin Poe // this is so sad and beautiful and i loved it so much?? my precious little BABIES ugh. the writing style is also really nice! ★★★★☆
- Shatter Me Tahereh Mafi // i was very much disappointed. jackie hates me now but that’s okay because this book was… how you say… gárbage. ★★☆☆☆
- Girl on the Verge Pintip Dunn // THIS IS THE ONLY BOOK I’VE READ WITH A THAI MC… and it disappointed. thrillers just disturb me okay. ★★☆☆☆ [2.5]
It’s a very small library haul, but last time I got 6 books and only read… 4. Rip.
I’ve been waiting forever for Holding Up the Universe??? I swear iF IT DISAPPOINTS,,
And then I’m super not excited about Unravel Me. Apparently the series gets better but if not, I’ll just read to roast. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I’m really unsure about the Grisha trilogy; I LOVED Six of Crows and I’m 90% sure this series will disappoint me!!
favorite book of the month?
I am SO SO surprised that I didn’t have any 5-stars this month??? And then I got so many 2-stars??? Am I GETTING MEANER????
Anyways, The Language of Thorns is most definitely my favorite!! The inside is just as gorgeous as the outside, and Leigh’s beautiful writing paired with the equally beautiful artwork is just absolutely amazing a;ldsjfa;sldjfadsa.
disappointment of the month?
My god, I had so many disappointments. I’d have to say that DOTBC, Genie Lo, and Shatter Me were my biggest disappointments. DOTBC and Genie Lo because I”d heard good things but… no??? And then Shatter Me because JACKIE FANGIRLS SO MUCH ABOUT THIS SO HOW COULD IT BE TRASH.
most fun review to write?
I really enjoyed trashing Because You Love to Hate Me but I still have MANY ranty hate reviews to come… Look at all those 2-stars just waiting to be roasted by me!! I’m so EXCITED!!
But yes I’ll write the roast reviews first rather than the oNES STILL WAITING FOR ME FROM AUGUST.
- I hit 958 followers which is SO CLOSE TO 1K OMGOMGOMGOMOMG. I’m posting less, so I didn’t expect to get my usual addition of 100 each month. And I’m TOTALLY fine with that. My health matters more than stats.
- 8 posts
- 3,894 views
- 708 likes
- 814 comments
- 55 WordPress followers + 6 email followers
- I did NOT make any design changes as I planned to… but I did do something related to blogging that I won’t be talking about, to anyone. :)) But it’s something I’m excited (and also nervous) about!
top posts of the month?
(It makes me so happy that a post about my WIP was one of the top ones?? Thank you???)
favorite post of the month?
I absolutely LOVED writing this post. It got much more of a response than I thought it’d get?? Which made me really happy! But I feel like I got to talk about a lot of things that I wanted to and it helped me connect with other people who had experienced the same things.
posts i loved?
- Cait is publishing her own book and it comes out June 2018! I’m extremely excited for her and I can’t wait to read it ajdfl;ajf;lads.
- Ilsa shows us how she organizes her blogging life and it inspired me SO MUCH. If only I didn’t procrastinate and would actually use her wonderful tips!!!
- Ju talks about author appreciation and why authors should be given more love. Obviously you should go read it & tell her that she nEEDS TO POST MORE OMG.
- Marie outlines some ways to not stress about blogging and also gives tips on surviving NaNoWriMo and jUST GO FOLLOW HER AND READ ALL HER POSTS K.
- Jackie IS BACK FROM HER HIATUS OMG I MISSED HER SO MUCH HER BLOG IS SO PRETTY AGAHHAGAG (also happy belated birthday <3).
- May gives tips on how to stay motivated in her new feature Tea Time Talk (please go follow & tell her she talks too much about tea).
- Madeline celebrates one year of blogging and is also hosting a giveaway!! Her blog is honestly AMAZING so you should definitely go and follow. ;))
- Beth discusses being a writer & blogger and I agree with ALL the points she mentioned?? Plus her graphics are so prettyyyyyy.
- Analee talks about guilty blogging habits and I think everyone can relate??? ESPECIALLY WITH NOT REVIEWING ENOUGH AKA ME.
- Mikaela asks if diverse books are “diverse enough” and raises a lot of interesting conversations!! I mean, she IS the queen of bookish discussions.
around the internet?
- Um… I’m 4 books ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge so yay???
- Also I feel the need to mention that I have now hit 100 pending friend requests on Goodreads… please help.
- This is literally the most useless section ever, why don’t I do any other interesting things on the internet.
- I HAVEN’T GOTTEN MY $150 FROM WINNING THAT WRITING CONTEST AND I’M VERY SALTY THEY SAID THEY’D MAIL IT IN OCTOBER.
- And I’m way too shy to email them AGAIN about sending the check so I guess I’ll just… uh… wait till next year…
it’s only 2 months from now chill
- I ATTEMPTED to outline and failed spectacularly. I wanted my outline to be 15K words long and GUESS WHAT! I reached 1K!!! I love myself so much.
- But seriously??? NaNoWriMo starts TODAY and I am 100% not ready. I expanded a lot on my conflict but I don’t actually know what happens. Aka I have the end all planned out but not the beginning & middle which is A LITTLE necessary to start writing???
- On other matters, I’ve written more poetry, which is awesome! I didn’t write as much as in September but I’m just happy to be writing poems again. My style & voice is finally becoming one I’m proud of
oh look at me being a sap.
- Here’s a little sneaky peeky snippet and now I’ll go hide behind the bags under my eyes from staying up to write these things.
- First and foremost, I went to Harry Potter World!!! At Universal Studios Hollywood so I didn’t get to escape Gringotts unfortunately. But I DID get to explore Hogwarts classrooms!!
- The Forbidden Journey ride stopped when I was on it, so I got to go again. And then it stopped again. It was dark magic indeed.
- But literally, as soon as I stepped into Harry Potter World, I COULDN’T STOP SMILING. It’s something to see books being made into movies, and it’s a whole other thing to see and experience a fictional world come to life. It was magic on a new level.
- By the way, Butterbeer was too sweet and Chocolate Frogs are your average chocolate. BUT THEY’RE STILL HP FOOD SO GET THEM ANYWAYS.
- Besides HP World (tho that’s really all that matters), I got to visit the beach and the San Diego Zoo!! A bird pooped on my jacket, I almost got soaked from a wave, and I scraped my foot. But it’s all part of the adventure!!!
- Here’s a gif of me running away from the wave:
I sent this to my friend (Ju) and she sAID SHE COULDN’T STOP WATCHING IT OMG HOW RUDE I mean relatable BUT RUDE.
- I also took a school trip to Heifer Ranch in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas!! It was a “service learning trip” so we got to sleep in a global village, make our own food, survive a night of sPiDeRs (I SAW TWO AND I’M TRAUMATIZED), and do chores outside in the freezing rain!! Yay!!!
- But really, it was super fun. We all got to work together and I had never been so happy to SEE COOKED RICE IN A POT OMG.
- There was also a cold front where it was 30. DEGREES. at night and I just !!!!! I LOVE COLD WEATHER SO MUCH AJDL;FASLKDFJA.
- But then the next day it returned to like 70s in the day rip.
- Oh, and there was also Halloween yesterday!! Being my stupid self, I decided to pass out candy and IT WAS SO SCARY AND STRESSFUL AND AS;DLKFJASL;DF. Literally all I said was “Hiiiiii Happy Halloween!!!” in a really high voice.
- And then some innocent but rude kiddos didn’t like the candy I gave them so they reached in the bowl and got another one. Of course, I don’t know how to react so I just say, “Oh. Okay!!!!”
- Kill me now omggggg.
I…. failed a lot this month. As in I only accomplished 1/3 of my goals. HAHAHHAHAA help.
- read at least 8 books ✓ (i read 9!!)
- WRITE ALL MY REVIEWS ㄨ (HOW did i think i would do this)
- request more ARCs ㄨ (i drafted an email??)
- finish outline ㄨㄨㄨ (i hATE MYSELF SO MUCH OMG)
- write more poetry! ✓ (i did!! i liked my september poems better but oh well)
- PREP FOR NANOWRIMO ㄨ (unless you count “omgomgomg i have no plot someone help me” as prep… no, i did not)
- reach 975 followers??? ㄨ (only hit 960, but i’m totally okay with that!)
- work on new design stuff? ㄨ (WELL CRAP)
- prioritize school over blogging ✓ (idk man i just want a check mark in this section)
- drink more water ㄨ (hmm. i. didn’t. know. this. was. a. goal.)
- fix posture more ㄨ (yikes)
- get 9 hours of sleep at least twice a week ㄨ (WELL I GOT 9 HRS A FEW TIMES WHICH IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME)
- read at least 7 books (i’m prioritizing nano over reading this month)
- write & upload at least 6 reviews (i have uhhhhhhhh 14 RTCs)
- request ARCs (dude i wANT ARCS. altho i could wait till i hit 1k followers…)
- write 25K words!!! (THIS IS MY GOAL FOR NANO WILL I MAKE IT)
- write more poetry (hopefully i’ll be able to get one daily but with nano…)
- STOP. PROCRASTINATING. (aka homework, writing, THEN blogging)
- reach 1000 followers?!?! (OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMGOOGMOGMOGMG)
- find someone to design my blog (because i’m lazy and want someone else to do it)
- stay on top of posts & comments (idk what happened but i’m PROCRASTINATING THIS NOW TOO)
- drink all the water in 1 bottle (this is about 3 cups… yes i know i need 8… no i’m not getting 8…)
- fix posture at least 1 time a day (versus zero times a day)
- get 9 hours of sleep at least once a week (ONCE A WEEK IS BETTER THAN NOTHING ALL RIGHT)
MY BIRTHDAY IS COMING UP!!! I loooove November and I’m so glad it’s my birth month, and I’m just ready for cold weather and socks and BOOKS I LOVE BOOKS. (All I’m asking for my birthday now.) It’s November 17th for whoever wants to wish me a happy bday!
NaNoWriMo is here to kill me. And also motivate me to actually WRITE. Same thing. But seriously, I am not ready??? I literally know nothing except for the end and the plot twists and the conflict, which isn’t enough to actually know HOW to start the novel,, rip.
Just overall excitement. With a week off for Thanksgiving then starting to get gifts and then decorating the house for the holidays… ASDFA;SLFKJASDF I’M JUST SO EXCITED!! This time of year is probably my favorite because of warm and cozy and snuggly it is and also because of ALL THE PRETTY CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AGHAGHGA.
how was october for you?? ARE YOU EXCITED FOR NOVEMBER? who’s participating in nanowrimo? what things did you accomplish, or did you get nothing done like me? is the weather finally getting cooler for you? tell me all, friends!!