So if you know me, I like to do things BIG.
I like to scream about things and make a really big deal about stuff that really isn’t that important and also go out with a BANG. So of course, I’ve decided to make a little mini-series for the last two weeks of December (and a bit of January) called Goodbye 2017!!
Yes, I’m very original.
Basically, it’s going to be a mini-series of posts where I wrap up the year of 2017 & get ready for 2018!!
But today, I’m going to be reviewing my favorite (and least favorite) “moments” of 2017. Which will basically consist of me tearing my hair out for two days trying to remember what happened this year, because I remember NOTHING.
THANKFULLY the favorites outnumber the least favorites. (But I probably forgot a lot of things because I have the memory of a vegetable, which is none, because vegetables have no memories.)
- I started blogging!!!! OBVIOUSLY this is going to be a favorite moment of mine! I started blogging in January (my 1-year blogiversary is coming soon, actually!) and it was one of the BEST decisions in my life. I’ve made so many new friends and discovered so many new books and can’t imagine my life without my online life.
- I won NaNoWriMo AND finished a novel! This was actually very recent, and it makes me so so happy?? Because last year, I only got 15K words for NaNo and quit my novel, but this time, I reached 50K and FINISHED the novel. This makes me so much more confident as a writer??? I’m not a cabbage who can barely exist??
- I visited Banff in Canada. And to be completely honest, CANADA IS GORGEOUS. I lo(u)ve it. Moraine Lake is literally one of my most favorite places on this planet (besides my bed and the kitchen) because it is SO. BEAUTIFUL.
- I WENT TO HARRY POTTER WORLD!!! I’m still reeling over how magical it was?? Like yeah the Butterbeer was a disappointment and the Chocolate Frogs were literally just chocolate, BUT IT WAS AMAZING.
- I met so many lovely people & made amazing friends! From the internet, of course. I won’t shout them out here because I’m doing that later on, but you know who you are (I’m talking to everyone), I LOVE YOU.
- Discovering books that have become favorites. This is mostly referring to VICTORIA SCHWAB. I’d never heard of ADSOM or any of her books before I joined the blogging community and this woman is literally THE QUEEN??? I love her books so much.
- Starting Goodreads! So this is ALSO kind of bad because there is SO much more hate on Goodreads than in the blogging community, but I’ve met amazing people from that website and I’ve discovered so many amazing new books??? Plus, despite not writing ANY OF THEM, I love to review books
and roast them!!
- Discovering another side of myself??? I am DEFINITELY not this loud & annoying & hilarious in real life. But blogging has opened up a whole part of me I didn’t know existed?? (Including my dramatic self.) I’ve also figured a lot of other parts of my identity which is GREAT.
- I RECEIVED MY FIRST PHYSICAL ARCS!!! And then somehow just didn’t request any more after that. I see all these amazing new books coming out soon and I want to get ARCs of them and I just… don’t request them??
- Getting good grades! Because obviously those are important (tho not something to OBSESS OVER because that’s unhealthy*). I’m REALLY REALLY surprised & happy by this semester’s grades, because uhhh how did I manage to do SO GOOD????
- IT. SNOWED. For the first time in SEVEN FREAKING YEARS, it snowed???? I literally screamed and started jumping up and down when I found out, because OH MY GOD SNOW WHERE I LIVE??? Unheard of. There wasn’t enough to play with, but I LITERALLY DON’T CARE, IT SNOWED!!!!!!
- EATING MANGOES. I ate so many mangoes & dried mangoes this year. I think one time I ate half a bag of dried mangoes in one day. I’m healthy, I promise.
* What do I know about healthy hahhaaha.
- Trump. Controversial topic!! But I, uhh, strongly strongly STRONGLY dislike Donald Trump. At the barest level, our beliefs don’t line up, like at all. But at the extreme? He is DISGUSTING to POC, women, the LGBTQ+ community, Muslims, and others, and some of those are communities I belong to!! He talks about God and government hand in hand, and as an American who does not believe in God at all? I’m not okay with that.*
- Having Trump as the US president has been a nightmare for me as I hear about stuff I and other Americans strongly disagree with, but is being passed in Congress. I’m sure that many would have felt this way if Hillary had won the election, but when I found out Trump was our president**, I literally felt DEVASTATED and absolutely & totally defeated.
- The things he has done as president are things I cannot believe are viewed as “okay” and “constitutional” and are actually supported. I do not & will NEVER support or respect someone who doesn’t respect others’ existence. Truly one of the worst parts of 2017 for me.
- Getting less sleep. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT LAST YEAR I WAS GETTING 9 TO 10 HOURS OF SLEEP???? That was the dream. Now I’m getting about 7 hours and as someone who NEEDS 10 hours to actually function without being dead… yikes.
- Procrastinating. This is literally EVERY minute of every day??? So it’s not really a moment but my whole life????
What a scary thought, I have a life???.
- Feeling so so much stress. I feel like this year, the stress & pressure I felt was even worse?? I had more dance, and blogging took up a WHOLE lot of my time. Getting less sleep & procrastinating also contributed to this, and there were many times that I felt SO OVERWHELMED with everything that it was hard to breathe.
- Reading hate or discrimination. I’ve always gone on Pinterest or something and found pins that make me SO. ANGRY. with the world, but it’s intensified since I’ve become more involved with the online world this year. Like I’ve said, I do not & will never support any person or viewpoint that thinks people “wrong” because of certain parts of their identities. Never.
* I’m not saying that I’m not okay with people who believe in God! I respect all people & the religions they choose to follow. However, I’m NOT okay with Trump (or anyone) including God & religious beliefs in govt. issues, because religion & govt. should be two separate things imo. And because I’m Buddhist and don’t believe in God, I find it unfair to include beliefs that AREN’T MINE into things that concern me.
** Which happened last year but SHHH.
what were YOUR favorite moments of 2017?? and your least favorite moments? are you ready for 2018??? share all your funny stories with me! this post was way too depressing oops. oh and make sure to read the things below too!! ↓↓
p.s. speaking of 2017… I got voted in to some 2017 blogging awards and you should TOTALLY GO VOTE FOR ME BECAUSE I NEED VALIDATION!!! you can vote HERE (categories 2 & 3) and also HERE (categories 15 & 22)!! thanks for the validation <33
p.s. if you have any
ideas suggestions for me about what to post for “goodbye 2017”, I’d love to hear them!!!