As readers, we’re all pretty used to negative feelings.
For me, it’s mainly the pressing feeling of DISAPPOINTMENT, and with disappointment often comes saltiness. (Or maybe I’m just salty all the time.)
So, because I’m currently feeling extra salty about books (meaning I am in between the “I hate books” and “I want to read books” moods), I decided to talk about things relating to books that make me feel angry and/or salty and/or frustrated!!
I also need to make sure that OTHER people experience this too because
if I’m salty all of you have to be salty too I do not appreciate being the Special One.
(What a lie. I love being special.)
Smol note: On Friday night, I got really anxious over something and I had a panic attack. Since I really didn’t have my post ready by then, I decided to just skip Saturday and post when I felt ready, so that’s why my schedule is a little messed up! (That’s also why this post is just 5 points, instead of 9, like I usually do!) I’ve been absent from the blogosphere a little bit, and I apologize!! Love you all!!!
1. our most anticipated book disappoints
I have had this happen to me SO. MANY. TIMES. and it sucks??? I hear amazing reviews about the book, everyone seems to love it, and I mentally five-star it… only to find that no, the book is actually HORRIBLE. (In my opinion.)
Which then leads me to wonder how other people loved it so much?? Like, am I incapable of having good feelings towards books. Or is everyone just from some alien universe where they actively try to make me the odd-one-out.
(It’s probably the last one tbh.)
SO!! MANY!! EXAMPLES!!
- City of Brass: Y’all. I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK. I was so ready to love it?? To five-star it??? To join the group of screaming fans and anxiously await the sequel??? But I am STILL reading it, after more than two weeks since I started it, and that is not okay. I AM SO BORED. AND CONFUSED. I’m 1 nanosecond away from DNFing tbh.
- An Enchantment of Ravens: So if you’ve been around, this was the first (physical) ARC that I read, and the ARC reviews were glowing. But as soon as I read the first few pages, I could tell I was not going to like it! I’M SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS, because everyone screamed about it, and I thought I was going to love it. But it was horrible.
- History is All You Left Me: Okay, so this was my first Adam book, and let me tell you: I love Adam Silvera. He’s an amazing author & person, and I look up to him. But?? I’m so confused??? Am I heartless or something because I did not feel any of the heartbreak other people did. I was bored. I was confused.* I was disappointed.
*Okay is this like a theme with me… being bored and confused?? Does nothing interest me anymore??? AM I NOT SMART ENOUGH TO READ BOOKS????
2. books defying their pretty covers
The phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover” has been used by so many people… who don’t know it’s actually IMPOSSIBLE to not do that. We have so much prejudice outside of just book covers, and come on, humans are shallow??? I will 100% feel more motivated to pick up a book if it has a pretty outside??
But of course, pretty outside doesn’t mean a pretty inside (or ugly outside = ugly inside). So when we think we’ll love a book because of its pretty cover, and we DON’T, we feel betrayed. And then angry, because HOW DARE THIS BOOK DECEIVE ME??? I’m already getting deceived by people who offer me a piece of a cookie and then snatch their hand away just as I reach for it. Who allowed…????
I actually… don’t have that many examples?? Shook. BUT I do have a few, so here they are!
- An Enchantment of Ravens: This is a book I’ll always mention because iT DISAPPOINTED ME SO MUCH. But?? Do you see THAT COVER??? The only good thing about it is literally that cover, everything else sucks. So salty. I can’t even bare to look at the cover on my shelves, I’M THAT SALTY.
- We Are Okay: So this cover isn’t like, SUPER PRETTY but it’s still pretty pretty. (Calm down, May.) I think you either love or hate this book, and I think I read it at a time where I was not in the mood for it, so I hated it. Oops. I’m really sad tho, because this is about sad sapphic girls, and that’s such a beautiful concept???
- The Graces: I rated this 3 stars, but I read it in the beginning of 2017 and I honestly don’t think I liked it that much? (Probably 2 stars tbh.) But it has SUCH A PRETTY COVER and also a really intriguing concept, but everything was just way too weird!!
3. characters ending up with the “wrong” character
I’m sure we all have our own OTPs formed in our heads when we start reading a book, and I know from experience that I will get ANGRY if they don’t end up together. Steam-coming-from-my-ears angry. Where-did-all-the-mangoes-go angry.*
I mean??? Obviously I know exactly who should end up with who?? And not the author who created the characters????
Most of the time, I don’t have this problem. (My only problem is that I WANT MORE QUEER COUPLES.)
But whenever there’s a love triangle, there’s bound to be some problems. First of all, I hate love triangles. Second of all, I hate everyone IN the love triangles**, because they are all so whiny and dramatic and “omg who do I choose I love both of theeeeeeeeem”. Sfjdlskjfslf just cHOOSE NONE OF THEM AND RELIEVE US OF THIS PAIN DEAR GOD.
*This is an actual mood, okay. I don’t know how I lasted that one month last year without any form of mangoes.
**I make one exception for June & Day in the Legend series.
4. recommended books ending up… bad
Okay, I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: I kind of… “forget” to check out books recommended to me, even tho I say I will. Basically, I LIE.
However, there are those certain books where one person just praises over and over and OVER again, and they end up actually horrible. Like what?? I trusted you??? WHY DO YOU LIE TO ME. I’m supposed to be the only liar.
I mean,,, hi I’m May I like mangoes.
One of those is a lie oops.
I have a WHOLE lot of examples (because I often get disappointed by books), and because I
love exposing people am a great friend, I’ll be naming the people who recommended these books to me!!
- Shatter Me is literally the only book that Jackie talks about… ever. (It would be endearing if I could understand why.) And, me being me, I read it without reading any previous reviews, and thus ended up HORRIBLY SURPRISED by how much it sucked!!
- Ju(lianna) ranted about how amazing The Epic Crush of Genie Lo was, so I was super excited to read it! AND it had Asian rep, and as y’all know, I’m 100% here for that. I was ready to love this book. But then I read it, and god was it HORRIBLE. I am still not over this. (I actually want to lower my rating for it.)
- Ilsa rambled on and on about how amazing and magical and mysterious Daughter of the Burning City was and I was SO. EXCITED. to read it. But then it turned out to be HORRIBLY BORING and also HORRIBLY CONFUSING.
- Tell Me Three Things is one of many books that May has recommended me (tell her to stop), but this one was the worst one out of them. It was supposed to be cute & fluffy & fun, but instead I got stereotypes, girl hate, and an annoying MC. Uhhh no, I’d rather not.
*I mean, I do the same, so who am I to critique that.
5. books getting representation wrong
Nothing sucks more than a book you were super excited to read because of the rep you heard about, and the rep ends up 1) wrong, 2) harmful, 3) and/or unrelatable.
This happened to me with Girl on the Verge (which I will keep mentioning because I’m STILL SO SALTY about it). I was super excited to be able to read it, because it’s literally the only book I’ve heard about with a Thai character in it*, but then the rep was so UNRELATABLE and such a disappointment.
Or!! Another sad thing is when you read a book that you’ve heard about for having good rep, and then the diversity is the ONLY good thing about the book. Why is it so hard to write good books that automatically have good rep because good rep one reason why books are “good”???
*If you hear of any Thai characters in any books, LET ME KNOW ASAP BECAUSE I AM DESPERATE.
what are some reasons YOU get angry or salty or frustrated, etc.? what books are you salty about not liking? opinion on love triangles? have you been cookie-snatched before? and i know i’m extremely obnoxious (that’s why you love me tho), but make sure to submit questions for my q&a and/or fill out my feedback survey if you haven’t & you want to!!