So! The month of me (May) was uhhhh not that great.
I mean, what could I expect? After April being my best month, I couldn’t expect May to be just as great, could I. I mean. That would be ridiculous. I would never expect something silly like that.
Okay so thankfully it wasn’t COMPLETELY bad: I got full scores on all my exams, ended the school year with hardly any homework and some fun with friends, and read some good books, despite being in a slump?
This is just me grabbing at positive things let’s be real.
I read 6 books this month. I definitely slumped.
The books I read were all rated pretty highly, though!! It was just that I had NO motivation to read them and just… didn’t care. The only books I actually WANTED to read were the books I reread, but I had to stop myself from finishing my series reread. (Which made me actually tear up. I’m fragile and I miss my favorites.)
- Undead Girl Gang Lily Anderson // loved the female friendship themes + the mystery aspect was very entertaining + hilarious narration voice ★★★★☆
- People Like Us Dana Mele // the queer girl mystery we all needed + GENUINELY thrilling + loved the atmospheric vibe (murderous boarding school) + just so,, good ★★★★☆
- Nice Try, Jane Sinner Lianne Oelke // SUCH. GOOD. DEPRESSION. REP. + teared up over how closely it mirrored my experiences + it’s so FUNNY + genuinely loved the characters ★★★★☆ [4.5]
- The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan // REREAD // I can’t say anything much about this without tearing up but I love this book and this series and these characters SO. MUCH. ★★★★★
- The Sea of Monsters Rick Riordan // REREAD // I teared up at the end because of how much I loved Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and Tyson if that tells you anything ★★★★★
- Obsidio Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff // boring at first + unrealistic ending + but so enjoyable + I was sweating during the whole book + I BINGED + I love Ella Malikova ★★★★☆
I didn’t get any physical ARCs this month (because I haven’t requested any ARCs since like… April), but I did get two eARCs from Edelweiss! My first!!
I’m SO excited to read these both. Summer Bird Blue is written by the author of one of the most meaningful, personal books (Starfish), and I can’t wait to be blown away by her writing and storytelling. (I’m reading it right now and it’s beautiful already.)
And I’m super excited to read Our Stories, Our Voices, a feminist anthology full of pieces by some of my favorite authors! I’m so so happy to read a feminist anthology that will tackle more than just white women’s struggles and shed some light on what marginalized women have gone through.
Okay I guess this is cheating but The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters because they are my absolute favorites and my everything and my childhood and I literally teared up reading them because I love these characters so much!!!
I guess, Obsidio, kind of? I mean, I actually wasn’t expecting 5 stars, but it would’ve been nice. The book was a nice conclusion and it was SO EXCITING and fun and enjoyable to read… but it was boring at the beginning and was super unrealistic.
Guess who barely wrote any reviews this month!!!!
Anyways, I was depressed and had no motivation to do anything and also busy with exams so I really didn’t write any book reviews. Except for me reviews of books that I haven’t read… like the THIRD SIX OF CROWS BOOK that’s supposed to be coming out several years down the line!! Someone scream with me!!!
- I thought I was going to blog more. But I did not.
- I thought I was going to comment on more posts. But I did not.
- I thought I was going to reply to comments. But I did not.
- A disappointing day for us all am I right??
- BUT! I did post six times, which was more than I have in the past few months, and I’m very proud of that. And I’m so so happy that my stats have climbed back up, it means the world to me that you all continue to support me as I struggle to come back to blogging like I used to.
Again, I posted few times (though better than April) so I can’t really pick an accurate “Top Three” but my most popular post BY FAR was my post recommending some books with Asian characters, and talking about a few ownvoices Asian books on my TBR!!
(I was going to write another post with more recs, but unfortunately I ran out of time and motivation.)
Thank you all so so much for your support on this post, it means A LOT to see this much love for a post celebrating my and other marginalized people’s culture!!
favorite post of the month?
I mean, my favorite post was the my most popular one, because duh, celebrating Asians. BUT I also really really enjoyed writing this discussion post! It’s something close to my heart and something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. And as always, everyone’s comments are so meaningful and relevant.
posts i loved?
Like I said, I SUCKED at reading and commenting on posts this month… so I don’t have a lot!
- Marie gave tips on what to do when running out of blogging inspiration and I LOVE IT. I love her. She is an angel. She is our savior. She is amazing.
- Lu came out and wrote a really heartfelt post that I connected to a lot. Go show this girl a lot of love and support!!!
- Lily started her blog and she’s already amazing at everything and much more professional than all bloggers combined. Go follow her amazing blog!!
- My fav Silvia shared her favorite f/f books and it’s a REALLY great list. I haven’t read all of the books she shared (and I plan to one day) but I have read a few and she is definitely right in recommending them!
- Savannah talked about the lack of Native American/Indigenous rep in media, and it’s a post you ALL should read. It’s so so important and well-written.
- Ju is FINALLY BACK from her hiatus (maybe) and I’m very excited. I missed her. Just kidding go back from where you came from.
- Y’all I’m close to breaking down just thinking about this???
- (Okay, not right now. But I will later, probably.)
- I didn’t do ANYTHING writing-wise this month!!! And I hate myself for it!!!!
- I’ve decided, against all the people who voted otherwise in my poll for my April recap, that I’m just going to take my old horrible cringy WIP, form a slightly better plot for it, and use the first 9K of it that I wrote. Because there is NO way that I can plot and write 9K in a month in time to hit the deadline of the writing contest that I want to enter!
- Wish me luck. Can’t wait to wait till the week before the deadline to do everything.
- So! My depression disappeared at the end of April, and stayed far away at the beginning of May.
- But then it came back!! In full force!!!
- And if you remember me screaming about my mental health in March, you’ll remember that I had breakdowns over Spring Break, because there was nothing to distract me (aka school).
- I got out of school last week, and the same thing is already beginning to happen!!!
- I haven’t had any actual breakdowns yet, but I definitely have been feeling/thinking the same things that I felt/thought during Spring Break. However, this time I’m more focused on fighting it and there are a few things I know that will help me out so I feel less affected at the moment!
- Anyways, besides mental health things, I’m OUT OF SCHOOL. I feel so happy and free and relaxed and I LOVE IT. I also got perfect scores on my exams and I’m just,,,, AAAAHHHHH.
- Dance recitals happened and it made me so nostalgic. I had an anxiety attack because I’d forgotten one of my costume pieces at home but it turned out just fine and I had a really great time!! AND I HAD A COOKIE.
I’m laughing hysterically over what happened this month.
- read at least 8 books ㄨ (no)
- write & upload at least 5 reviews ㄨ (oh my god)
- request more ARCs ㄨ (yikes)
- plot and write 9K of my current WIP ㄨ (no)
- OR re-plot and revise my old WIP ㄨ (no)
- and also… get back into poetry?? ㄨ (no)
- post at least 7 times! ㄨ (I WAS SO CLOSE)
- reply to recent comments & comment back!! ㄨ (hahhahahhaha great job May!!!!!)
- comment on at least 4 posts a day ㄨ (doing amazing)
- drink 1 water bottle each day ㄨ (achieving all your goals omg)
- SEEEEELF-CAAAAARE ㄨ (wow so good sweetie!!)
- get 8 hours of sleep at least three times a week ✓ (THE ONLY GOAL I ACCOMPLISHED WOW)
- read at least 8 books (I have 8 books on my TBR for Pride Month and I really want to read them all!!)
- write & upload at least 5 reviews (okay. I’ve been in a review-writing mood lately so I think this is manageable)
- request more ARCs (PLEASE I want free books)
- not get anxious over writing workshop (so not a WRITING-specific goal but I have a workshop for two weeks and I just don’t want to panic)
- re-plot and revise my old WIP (I HAVE to get this one done because the writing contest deadline is July 1!!)
- and also… get back into poetry?? (please?)
- post at least 7 times! (I GOT THIS)
- reply to recent comments & comment back!! (summer time = free time = time to blog!!)
- comment on at least 4 posts a day (I will do this. I can do this)
- drink 1 water bottle each day (it hit the 90s mid-May and I definitely need to stay Hydrated)
- stretch! (I only have summer dance classes to keep me in shape so I need to make sure to stretch)
- get 8 hours of sleep at least three times a week (meaning: go to sleep at 1am, wake up at 9am)
Lots of writing things! I’m doing a writing workshop/class/camp for the first two weeks of June, which I’ve been doing for a few years, and I’m both nervous and excited. I’m also editing a short story for an anthology I’m submitting to, as well as plotting and editing something to enter for a writing contest!
Dance is back!! We have Company auditions (tomorrow) and summer classes and dance intensives and I’m EXCITED. There’s nothing particularly intense (except for the… intensives) but dance really makes me relax and loosen my body after getting so stressed over stupid things.
IT’S PRIDE MONTH!!! I don’t think I’ve ever EXPLICITLY came out and said that I was queer but, uh, hi? I’m bi, greyromantic, and demisexual! And I’m using she/they pronouns from now on. 😊 I’m super excited for Pride Month, especially since I’m reading all-queer books, but I just love this atmosphere of happiness and celebration that comes during this month!
HOW WAS YOUR MAY??? was it amayzing?? (i’m not sorry) if you’re a part of the lgbtqiap+ community, how are you celebrating pride month? are you out of school yet? is it getting insufferably hot for you? are you doing a lot of cool writing things?? HOW ARE YOU