August was a chaotic month and I’m SO GLAD it’s over.
I thought I could be NOT stressed out by school and I… completely failed. Not to mention the fact that I did not read the 9 books I planned to, or plot out as much as my WIP as I thought I could, or actually interact with bloggers like I’d expected to.
Me? Being productive? Not as likely as you think.
(Just kidding I’m sure none of you thought I would be productive in August.)
But even though I literally just summed up my whole month in two sentences, I’m still going to talk about, in 1.7k words, what else happened in August!!! I know this is a horrible intro but please just go with it my brain is tiredt.
This month I read 7 books! I am currently trying to quickly finish a book that I was supposed to read in September but didn’t. (It releases today and I have no review for it and I am FOURTEEN PERCENT through. I will scream.)
But thankfully, most of the books I read were all 4 stars and above, except for one notable exception! Plus I read one of my most anticipated books of the year AND a book that I’ve been wanting to read for a long time. Love being productive!!
- The Last Olympian Rick Riordan [♦] I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH + I adore all my babies + I already want to reread the series again + my heart is soft ★★★★★
- Grim Lovelies Megan Shepherd [♦] nasty book + hate it + bury your (tragic) gays + bad POC rep + bad EVERYTHING + a mess ★☆☆☆☆ [blog review]
- The Demon Race Alexandria Warwick [♦] surprisingly… amazing? + amazing like I teared up at the end + love the characters + beautiful writing + so engaging and enjoyable ★★★★☆ [4.5]
- Blanca y Roja Anna-Marie McLemore [♦] I LOVE ANNA-MARIE SO MUCH + this is genuinely her best, most well-written book + second fave from her + beautiful writing, beautiful story, beautiful everything ★★★★★
- Seafire Natalie C Parker [♦] didn’t think I’d like it so much + fiercely feminist + loved all the sisters/found family vibes + I’m in love with all the girls ★★★★☆
- Check Please! Ngozi Ukazu [♦] did this happen because I missed my Foxhole sports gays? no + SO CUTE + Bitty is a precious + stan all the characters ★★★★☆
- Anger is a Gift Mark Oshiro [♦] NEW FAVORITE OF THE YEAR + literally woke up in the morning with swollen eyes from crying + sobbed for full 30 mins + brutally beautiful + GOD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH ★★★★★
I love Anna-Marie McLemore with all my heart, and Blanca y Roja was amazing, but… Anger is a Gift was just absolutely brilliant. I can’t believe it made me sob for thirty minutes straight.
It’s definitely not the second book I’ve one-starred this year, Grim Lovelies!!
(It so was.)
I’ve said everything I needed to in my review of it, but… god. Thinking of it makes me so angry, and thinking of all the hype it’s getting makes me angrier. Please just… don’t read this. And if you do, please don’t ignore the bury your gays trope it has.
My favorite review written this month was probably my rant review for Grim Lovelies, not only because I think it was pretty well-written (if I say so myself), but it felt so great to just rant about it all. And also see people take it off their TBRs.
- HAHAHAHAHA I WAS SO BAD AT BLOGGING THIS MONTH.
- Not only did I not post as much, but I didn’t interact as much as I’d hoped I would. I didn’t expect my mental health to spiral as much as it did so I guess it’s fair, and it’s better that I took care of myself rather than pushed myself to blog, but… still. I’m disappointed.
- Near the last half of the month, though, I started commenting on more blog posts and replying to comments! It’s not a lot but… I’m slowly getting there.
(By the way, I’m so surprised that my Grim Lovelies review was my second most popular post?? My book reviews rarely get that much attention so this is just. really nice.)
My favorite post was one of my most popular posts: The 100 Truths Blogger Tag, which was just SO much fun to write. What can I say, I truly cannot shut up about myself.
- So my goal was to finish plotting my book by the end of September and… I did not reach that goal!
- I mean. I was kind of expecting that. But I just want to blindly believe in myself and surprise myself for once you know??
- I’m supposed to start outlining now so I can finish in time for NaNoWriMo, but I’m going to try to finish plotting a few more days. Luckily I’ve thought of beginning plot points so if I start outlining, I have at least SOMEWHERE to start from, but other than that and the overall conflict… nothing.
- But one writing thing I DID accomplish was: writing more poetry!! Like I said in my last recap, my English class has a lot of freewriting time, and that’s when I’ve been writing poetry. There’s one I wrote that I really like, and I’ve pretty much fallen in love with writing poems again.
- (Also my teacher validates me so much I love him.)
- Okay so lowkey nervous but… here are snippets!! First one is of a scene I wrote for my WIP because I was too impatient to wait until November (some things are redacted/blocked out because spoilers!), and the second is of a poem I wrote!!!!
- <small>Yes I know it’s supposed to be forgot, not forget. Ignore me.</small>
- My mental health worsened CONSIDERABLY. I don’t know what happened but I started getting super overwhelmed with everything and had breakdowns at night?? It didn’t help that this month, since it’s now the end of the quarter, we had two major assessments due for each class. :)) Aka sixteen major assessments. :))
- And also… the lice came back!! We didn’t get all the nits (lice eggs) out the first time around, so then they hatched and new bug babies came crawling out onto my head!!! This time, though, we went to a lice clinic no I did not know those existed before this month and got EVERYTHING out and now I am officially lice-free.
- Because of the lice, I got my hair cut! I really love how short it is, and I look SO much better with the short hair. It’s so bouncy and light and cute and I only wish it was shorter! (But I have dance. Aka high buns.)
- I finished Brooklyn Nine-Nine!! I wanted to start some other shows on Netflix (like Queer Eye and The Good Place), but I got so overwhelmed with school stuff and I knew that adding TV shows on top of that would equal a recipe for disaster. (The disaster being me.)
- Honestly? I don’t really know what else was really big this month, life-wise. It was all pretty much just being extremely stressed out and overwhelmed and getting better but then getting worse again.
- Also I tried to transfer out of my art class into band so I could… you know… NOT be in the class causing me 80% of my school-related stress… but they wouldn’t let me and just told me to talk to my teacher about stress!! Love the American school system!!
hmm I wonder why I was checking off a lot of goals when I didn’t have school but as soon as I get back I start failing them!!!!
- read at least 7 books ✓ (I DID IT. 8 BOOKS. I DON’T KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED)
- write & upload at least 4 reviews ㄨ (I have. a ton of reviews to write that I didn’t upload on time)
- finish plotting my WIP ㄨ (hahhahahahhahaHAHAHAHHA)
- write more poetry? ✓ (see: writing section for a snippet!!!)
- post at least 5 or 6 times ✓ (god bless myself)
- I N T E R A C T ✓ㄨ (well… my mental health was suffering so??)
- reply to at least 3 month’s worth of comments!!! ㄨㄨㄨ (REALLY great job here)
- sleep at least 8 hours during the school week ㄨ (I got… 7 hours!)
- drink at least 1 water bottle a day ✓ (I didn’t really do it but can I please just PRETEND)
- read 11 books (I have an 11-book TBR, and I am so terrified. BUT I DO HAVE A WEEK OFF FROM SCHOOL!)
- write & upload 10 reviews (THESE ARE ALL THE ARCS THAT I’VE FAILED TO REVIEW FDHSDFJSD)
- outline my WIP & prep for NaNo (I HAVE to finish my outline or NaNo will be a failure)
- write more poetry (I’m getting back into the habit of writing more poetry and I love it!)
- I N T E R A C T (I think I can really do it this month!)
- reply to at least 3 month’s worth of comments!!! (I BELIEVE IN MYSELF)
- sleep at least 7.5 hours during the school week (look it’s either alternating between 8 and 6 each day, or a compromise)
- drink at least 1 water bottle a day (my skin is so bad I NEED water)
School… but also a break from it!! This is literally one of the most exciting things of my life right now because I GET A WEEK OFF FROM HELL!!! (I sound dramatic but I’m really truly not. This year, the months I’ve been in school have resulted in horrible mental health, but over the summer I was doing perfectly fine.)
Fun book-related stuff!!! There’s a book fest that I’m going to be attending this weekend and I am literally SO. EXCITED. There are a lot of popular YA authors going and I have a list of the ones I want to meet and I’m just really !!! AAAHHH. (If you have any tips on how to talk to authors though, I’d appreciate it.) I’m also hosting a readathon right now and I have 11 books on my TBR soooo lots of reading!
Outlining and prep for NaNoWriMo. Oh my god I literally… cannot believe it’s the month before Nano?? I’m excited to finally start writing this brainchild of mine that’s been simmering since June, but I’m also really nervous because I can’t plot!!! And psstt I’m planning an intro post to my WIP later this month and I’m excited!
how was your september??? are you prepping for NaNo or nah? have any tips for talking to authors? what great books have you read recently?? TELL ME ALL ABOUT YOUR MONTH!!