Wow! It’s been two weeks since I’ve posted!
I’ve been really busy and I kind of got overwhelmed by things recently, but I’m back and ready to post a lot of fun things to wrap up the year! (It was really nice to take a little blogging break though tbh.)
November has been the best month since school started, and I’m not entirely sure why? I just feel like it’s reaching the end of the year and a new beginning is coming and I’m determined to do whatever I can in 2019 to make sure I’m as healthy as possible and doing things that make me happy!
This month definitely wasn’t a PERFECT month though, I failed NaNoWriMo, I had my first panic attack in a long time, and I read mainly webcomics. But I’m still proud of my month and all that happened in it!
I read 9 books! I wanted to read 12 and I didn’t think I was even going to come close to it, so I’m proud of myself. (Even though… 5 were webcomics, and 1 was for school. But shh.)
My reading month started out with two 2-star reads and then a disappointing hyped book, but it got better as I read webcomics and other books!
I’m also doing a little something for 2019, where if you’d like me to read a specific book for whatever reason next year, you can fill out this form! It’s just a fun thing for me (and hopefully for you) and more details are on the form!!
- The Odyssey Homer // it was all so very boring ★★☆☆☆
- Odd One Out Nic Stone // I was SO sad I didn’t like this! + there was biphobia and transphobia which really shocked me + I just… did not like the main characters + everyone made it sound like it would end with a certain rep and it didn’t ★★☆☆☆
- The Cruel Prince Holly Black // I thought I would either hate or love it, NOT IN BETWEEN + was bored for a good 250 pages (aka more than half the book) + still intrigued to see what happens though? ★★★☆☆ [3.5]
- On a Sunbeam Tillie Walden // ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR! + it’s a webcomic and published graphic novel! + so diverse and delightfully queer + queer!! f/f!!! in space!!!! + wholesome sapphics + BEAUTIFUL art ★★★★★
- Aerial Magic Ari Walkingnorth // I LOVE THE ART AND MUSIC SO MUCH + this is… so good and I can’t wait for the next season! + I adore the characters ★★★★☆
- Princess Princess Ever After Katie O’Neill // another middle grade webcomic! + so cute as well + I loveeee the messages and the main characters + the ending GOT ME ★★★★☆
- The Tea Dragon Society Katie O’Neill // middle grade webcomic! + so cute + so many great friendships + the art is so adorable + I love the story! ★★★★☆
- What If It’s Us Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera // one of my most anticipated of the year and it did not let down! + the romance was SO cute and I shipped it + I absolutely love the ending and think it’s so fitting? + LOVE THE WRITING ★★★★☆
- Gourmet Hound Leehama // took me the same amount of time to read as a regular YA novel (and it’s still ongoing) + SO CUTE + I’m in love with all the characters? + slowburn romance + so much good FOOD ★★★★☆
So this month was my birthday month, so I got three books from my parents, and I also got another 2019 ARC that I didn’t expect to get! I feel so very blessed.
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo I read earlier this year and fell in love with and I can’t wait to reread it now that I have my own copy; Lady Midnight is a book I never thought I’d get (Cassie Clare? me??) but so many of my friends love it soooo; The Lightning Thief illustrated edition was SO EXPENSIVE but it’s worth it because the art is beautiful and makes me relive my childhood.
(And The Weight of the Stars is GORGEOUS and I loved K Ancrum’s debut so much and I CANNOT wait to read this one. Also, my first Macmillan ARC!)
On a Sunbeam! The only five-star this month, and it was a graphic novel. I absolutely adored this, and as soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again. Such a good story, with beautiful art, and an amazing cast of characters.
Odd One Out, definitely! I predicted it would be a five-star read, and then I started reading it… and I knew I wouldn’t like it. The premise is so good though and I love Nic? I’M SAD.
Would it surprise you if I told you I wrote no reviews this month??
- Well I planned on posting less this month and… I did. (I missed one post that I’ll publish soon!)
- I also planned on replying to comments more and… I kind of did? I’ve just been feeling really overwhelmed and also have lost the motivation to do a lot of things (read, write, blog) and it’s really affecting the kind of productivity I want to achieve.
- Also what is up with all these new WordPress updates? I hate this new “blocks” editor and I know that soon I’m going to have to actually use it, but also. why do they not make links blue anymore WHY.
Probably my birthday post, or my favorite bloggers post, both of which are linked up above!
others’ posts I loved!
I still did a bad job at commenting on blogs this month but here are a few posts I really enjoyed reading!
- Elise @ The Bookish Actress shared an AMAZING discussion post and it’s on a topic I’ve talked to her about but she said everything so articulately and eloquently and I agree with her so much??
- Fadwa @ Word Wonders wrote an amazing post about being a POC in the book community and I adore it with all my heart. (I feel like I already gushed about this post but it was published in November so… another shoutout I guess??)
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books celebrated her four-year blogiversary (and is hosting a giveaway!) and if you’re not following her, you’re missing out on amazing content and the friendship of the sweetest person ever!!
- So! I participated in NaNoWriMo in November! And “failed”!
- I honestly don’t count it as “failing” which is very odd since I’m quite competitive with myself? But I wrote a lot, especially since I put very little planning/plotting into it, and I’m proud of what I came up with!
- I had the intuition that I would not make 50K this month, and I tried anyways. When it became obvious I DEFINITELY would not make it to 50K, I went with my backup goal, 30K. Didn’t make that either, so I aimed for 25K. And I failed that too.
- It’s okay, though! I’m proud of myself for making it as far as I did with 23,165 words. The last week was so hard with writing for me because I just felt NO motivation whatsoever and it was also super stressful school-wise. I really didn’t want to pressure myself even more with writing, because while pressure is good for being productive, too much would’ve made my mental health decline.
- Okay, so November was actually a really good mental health month?? For most of the month, I wasn’t very stressed or overwhelmed (though I don’t know if I was blocking those feelings out or just actually not that stressed).
- Near the end of the month it started declining, and it was actually during Thanksgiving break that I started feeling overwhelmed again. I’ll talk about it more before, but I went out with friends a lot of times during the break, and it made me really happy, but on one of those days, I had three breakdowns and a really bad panic attack that night. So. Yeah.
- Luckily, I have not had anymore breakdowns or panic attacks since then! Still stressed, but not breaking down anymore like I used to daily in September!
- Like I said, I had a lot of fun during Thanksgiving break! I had to dedicate two days to working on a school project (literally 11 hours on a nucleus model), but I met with friends a lot. My friends even threw me a surprise birthday dinner (I genuinely was so surprised) and it made me so happy.
- And it was also my birthday! I had dance that day, so the next day I went out and ate Thai food and went book shopping and it was fun for me.
- Another big thing that happened for me was that I had a gay crisis for literally the whole month that is still continuing now and it SUCKS. No specifics but I just really FREAK OUT over it.
fyi if I didn’t have school, I would have more time and also less mental health problems so I could actually ACHIEVE MY GOAL but no!
- read 12 books ㄨ (I predicted it wouldn’t happen but 9 was a lot better than I expected!)
- read the 3 overdue ARCs ㄨ (okay literally the whole month was webcomics but I READ ONE OF THEM)
- write & upload 5 reviews ㄨ (I am crying)
- write 50k for NaNo!! or at least 30k!! ㄨ (I am crying pt. 2)
- reply to November and October’s comments! ㄨ (I am sobbing)
- sleep at least 7 hours during the school week ㄨ (I think I mostly got… 6….)
- drink at least 1 water bottle a day! ㄨ (no)
- read 16 books (it’s the 5th day of the month already and I have read only one graphic novel but I WILL COMPLETE MY GOODREADS CHALLENGE OR SO HELP ME GOD)
- read more webcomics (people have recommended me more webcomics and these are literally the savior of my Goodreads challenge)
- write & upload ARC reviews! (just by the end of the year! please!)
- take a break from writing! (I forgot how exhausting writing is)
- reply to comments from June to December? (I think that’s my limit, especially since people won’t remember anything from more than HALF A YEAR AGO)
- do not go to sleep past 1:30 during the break (I have a bad habit of staying up late and waking up late during breaks and it gives me LESS TIME IN THE DAY)
- make plans to hang out with friends! (I’m so proud that I’m isolating myself less!)
Midterms and winter break. The end of semesters are always SO stressful and I hate it and I cannot wait to get out of school. 2 and a half weeks off is definitely not enough and I just KNOW my mental health will get better and then plummet when I go back in January. But I just gotta deal!!!
Holidays!!! I “celebrate” Christmas, as in I put up a tree and lights and do the whole opening gifts on Christmas day, but I don’t celebrate it religiously (which makes some people mad but oh well). I’m excited to see what horrible homemade gifts I’ll give to my family this year!!
Dance! I went to a dance convention & competition on Dec 1 and 2 and it was so much fun! I’m sore, but I feel like I’m really improving as a dancer and I love that. This month, we have a Secret Santa, a gift wrapping service project, a holiday dinner, and Christmas tea parties (where we do Nutcracker dances for little kids) and I’m excited!
how was your November? did you fail NaNo like me?? what is it your birthday month too? how are you on your Goodreads reading challenge? do you celebrate any holidays this time of year??