[screams] I LOVE WRITING THESE POSTS SO MUCH!!!
Every time it’s the end of the year I get so excited because I know I’m going to be able to write these super fun, amazing book wrap-ups. I mean, formatting all the book covers is a pain, but talking about my year??? In books???? So good.
Today I’m linking up with the amazing End of Year Book Survey by The Perpetual Page Turner and answering a bunch of questions about my 2018 in books! (Not doing all the questions, though, because this post is already SUPER long.) I’ll also be talking about some reading stats that I kept track of by myself, with the help of some graphs!!
(Shh I know it’s not the end of the year anymore but it still counts!!!)
UPDATE: This post ended up taking about 5 hours to make and I am exhausted please show this post and ME some love I feel dead.
Number of books read: 100 (technically 99 since I read one book twice)
Number of rereads: 10 (1/10 of my reads were rereads wow!!)
Average rating: 3.83 stars (thank you to Google spreadsheets for doing the math for me)
- Girl Made of Stars is, unsurprisingly, my #1 favorite book of the year. You’ve all heard me scream about this book but I think it’s just gorgeous and stunning and an absolute must-read (beware of triggers though).
- Radio Silence, as the book I feel was written for me and yet also about me, makes my top 2, and it truly deserves its spot. It’s just… so well-written and meaningful to me, and the characters are literally my favorites.
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a truly phenomenal book and I don’t know how it wouldn’t be one of my favorites of the year. Evelyn is an amazing character and the messages in this book are so powerful.
- Girls of Paper and Fire is not only a highly meaningful book to me as a queer Asian, but it’s also just written beautifully and has such important themes and messages. (We’re ignoring that the ending happened.)
- The King’s Men can basically represent the whole All for the Game trilogy, which I am so horrifyingly obsessed over. It’s really… not the highest quality, but there’s something so ADDICTING (and emotion-destroying) about it.
- Anger is a Gift is the book I cried the most over in 2018, so obviously it’s amazing. This was such a beautifully written book and also so important and I wish I could shove it into everyone’s hands.
- Autoboyography would honestly not be on this list if I had not read it at the perfect time. It’s not flawless, but it was so cute and made me genuinely happy in a time I needed it and for that I’m grateful.
- On a Sunbeam is a graphic novel/webcomic that is one of the most gorgeous graphic novels I’ve read, both art-wise and story-wise. The characters are amazing and I wanted to reread it as soon as I finished!
LEAST FAVORITE BOOKS
- Grim Lovelies was just a really yikes book. I don’t even want to talk about it.
- The City of Brass was supposed to be a new favorite book of mine and instead I literally 1-starred it.
- Now I Rise (and And I Darken I suppose) was genuinely so boring that I DNFed it.
- Furyborn was a big disappointment and also did not feel like bi rep to me as a bi person.
- The Odyssey… is it supposed to be interesting?
Most of these disappointing books were my least favorite books so I’ve already explained my thoughts on them but:
- Odd One Out was a book I expected to 5-star, only to find some mildly biphobic and transphobic comments that made me uncomfortable and characters I didn’t like at all.
- A Monster Calls was supposedly heartwrenching but I felt pretty much nothing, which was especially disappointing since I have a personal connection to the story.
- I Believe In a Thing Called Love was a book I thought I would love, and it was just all over the place and dramatic and cheesy but in a BAD way.
- The Cruel Prince was supposed to be either 5 stars or 1 star and it was 3 stars. Not saying it was horrible (because it wasn’t) but I expected a bit… more?
BOOKS I PUSHED PEOPLE TO READ
- Girl Made of Stars was my profile picture for like half the year, so.
- Girls of Paper and Fire was also a book I shoved in everyone’s face and people have told me they heard of it/read it because of me!
- Darius the Great is Not Okay is a book that many people say they associate with me, which I LOVE!!
FAVORITE BOOK COVERS
MOST SHOCKING BOOKS
The above three books all shocked me because of what happened to certain characters.
The above four books all shocked me because of how it ended. (I feel VERY strongly about how Girls of Paper and Fire and The Fever King ended.)
- Andrew x Neil [m/m] from The Foxhole Court
- Mara x Charlie [f/gq] from Girl Made of Stars
- Evelyn x Celia [f/f] from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- Lei x Wren [f/f] from Girls of Paper and Fire
- Patroclus x Achilles [m/m] from The Song of Achilles
- Noam x Dara [m/m] from The Fever King
(Am I obsessed with queer ships? No.)
FAVORITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS
- Frances and Aled from Radio Silence
- Mara and Hannah from Girl Made of Stars
- Evelyn and Harry from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- the Foxes from The Foxhole Court
- the friendship squad in On a Sunbeam
- the friendship squad in Gourmet Hound
- the friendship squad in Shoot Around
(Am I obsessed with friendship squads and found families? No.)
BEST RECOMMENDED BOOKS
- The Abyss Surrounds Us [rec’d by Elise!]: This was a lot different than I was expecting but I also loved it so much more than I thought I would!!
- The Foxhole Court [rec’d by my irl friend, backed by many people]: I hate her for recommending it to me and everyone else in this community for not stopping me
- The Song of Achilles [rec’d by the same irl friend, backed by many people]: You all SUCK for making me think I could make it through without crying.
I pretty much enjoyed two 2018 debuts??? Yikes. (2019 has so many amazing debut authors though!!)
Anger is a Gift is genuinely amazing and I don’t know WHY you guys AREN’T READING IT it’s just so beautifully written and important aaaahhh.
Darius the Great is Not Okay is phenomenally written and I am so excited to see what Adib Khorram writes next because I know it’ll be amazing!
BOOKS I CRIED OVER
I made a whole post on this so I won’t go into much detail, but here are the 8 books I cried over this year!!
There are a lot of underhyped books that I read this year, including ones I’ve already mentioned, so I’m going to include some books that I haven’t talked about much already but were absolutely amazing and deserve more love!
#1 PRIORITY BOOKS FOR 2019
The first two books are books I got in December that I’m really excited to read! (I’ve actually already read Summer of Salt and it was amazing!) The second two books are books I own but haven’t read yet. Mirage and Shadow of the Fox are my two eARCs that I didn’t read in 2018 and NEED to, and the last two are sequels that I need to read (don’t really want to read R&R, but I will for King of Scars!).
NEW FAVORITE BOOK BLOGS
- Mel to the Any
- Sprinkles of Dreams
- Vicky Who Reads
- Read by Tiffany
- The Thoughtful Voice
- A Court of Crowns and Quills
- That Bookshelf Bitch
FAVORITE POSTS I WROTE
Okay I am way too lazy to look at all the posts I wrote but I know that I love all the below posts and am proud of them!!
MOST POPULAR POSTS
This is my most popular post by far, not just of 2018 but of all my blogging years, and seeing how many views it got literally put me in shock?? I legitimately teared up, no joke. I knew it was a popular post but 930 views* popular???? STILL IN SHOCK. Anyways, I’m so glad this is my post popular post because I know it’s helped a lot of people with their WordPress formatting!!
*It’s now at 967 and I’m even more in shock.
FAVORITE BOOKISH PHOTO
(Also known as the photo that made SJM stans come after me. But LOOK AT ALL THE ASIAN BOOK GLORY!!)
STATS AND GRAPHS
Possibly my most favorite part of book wrap-ups?? (I’m a nerd I know.)
For the sake of making it easier on my life, I’m going to use the number 100 to represent how many books I read, though I read Girl Made of Stars twice this year.
First up, ratings! Like I’ve talked about before, I definitely rated books a lot higher this year. (Though, let me be clear, I rated all 10 of my rereads 5 stars so that would bring the percentage down to 11%!) Honestly,4 stars is just my default “I enjoyed it” rating, and I enjoyed most of the books I read this year!!
I’m very happy that I read more fantasy than contemporary—by 3 books—since I didn’t last year! (There were a lot of genre overlaps, though, like contemporary sci-fi and historical fantasy.) And of course, I read a LOT of YA this year, and most of the MG I read was rereading PJO. (N/A is for non-fiction/poetry, while NA is New Adult.)
I think the formats graph is really interesting. I don’t count “online” as an ebook (“online” is for things like webcomics), but I reallythought I’d read a lot less ebooks, but it’s 50 (physical) : 40 (digital) as the ratio, which is surprising!
And of course, my library saves the day. (And also a lot of free stuff! Not pirated, don’t worry, more like webcomics and short stories you can find online.) I am not privileged enough to be able to afford to buy many books for myself, but I am so privileged that I’m able to get books from my library, publishers, and other people, andI feel so thankful!
And here is probably my favorite graph! I am so so proud that I read literally93/100 diverse books this year. (Some books like non-fiction and some poetry can’t really be “diverse”, but I included it as diverse if the author was marginalized!) Last year, I read 55/100 diverse books, so this is definitely an improvement!
As for diversity type,a lot of the diversity types overlapped, aka a book had more than one kind of diversity (which is great!). And “other” includes religion, abuse, and fat rep! I really want to find more books that have mental illness and disability rep for 2019, though.
if you made it through this long post, CONGRATS!! do you like reading stats / end-of-year book wrap-ups? how many 5-star books did you have in 2018? did you read a lot of diverse books?? and what are your favorite and least favorite books of 2018??