[takes deep breath] I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS POST.
Before I start getting even more excited, let me start out with a little explanation: If the title of this post sounds familiar, it’s because a retired book blogger, Joce @ Write Through the Night (who is now a YouTuber!!), used to host annual Book Blogger Awards. (Here are the 2018 winners and the 2017 winners.) But because she’s no longer blogging, these awards weren’t being hosted by anyone anymore.
A week ago, I was reminiscing about my old blogging days (for some ungodly reason, I decided to go back to some of my old posts and read them, then was forced to bleach my eyes afterwards), and I remembered these awards that she’d held. I found her old post and read through all the nominations posts that had been linked back, and was just so full of love for the community and how we’re all so happy to promote and celebrate other bloggers.
As a result of this, I decided to contact Joce about possibly continuing her awards, just because I loved them so much. And, to my great pleasure, she agreed and was even super enthusiastic about the idea!! So today, I’m here with the third annual 2019 Book Blogger Awards and I’m just so!!!!! excited!!!!!
You all know I absolutely LOVE boosting bloggers, because I think we’re all just so amazing and deserve all the appreciation in the world. So I am truly beyond happy to be hosting these awards this year (and hopefully future years), and to see all the blogger love pour in!!!
(Unless you let this flop. Please don’t let this flop.)
HOW IT WORKS
Though there are a few changes to how this works/rules/categories, most of it is pretty much what Joce put in place before me, both because her process worked so well and to honor her!
ROUND 1: NOMINATIONS
- When: Today, Thursday, June 20 to Saturday, July 20 (comments will close and I will not accept nominations later than 11:59 PM CDT)
- What: During these four weeks, you can nominate bloggers for each award category.
- How: Write a post with your nominations—include a link back to this post and ensure that I get a link to your post, whether it be a pingback (check to be sure it shows up in my comments) or you commenting on this post with the link. If you absolutely must (ie. you don’t have a blog or forgot until the last minute), you can submit your nominations by replying to this post in one (1) comment, but it is strongly preferred and ENCOURAGED that you write your own post if you can!
- *UPDATE: I’ve discussed with some people the anxiety they’re facing about possibly excluding other bloggers by having to do public nominations, so I’ve created a Google form to accommodate for those people! If you think you might be able to write a post, I encourage you to do so, but for those who know writing a post would be too much for you, you can nominate people privately RIGHT HERE. (This can also be used for those who don’t have a blog.)
THE TOP FIVE (5) BLOGGERS OF EACH AWARD CATEGORY (those with the most nominations for that category) WILL THEN MOVE ON TO:
ROUND 2: VOTING
- When: Wednesday, July 24 to Wednesday, July 31 (the Google form will close at 11:59 PM CDT)
- What: During this week, you can vote for one (1) of the top five bloggers of each category.
- How: On July 24, at 6:00 AM CDT, I will publish a blog post that basically just has a Google form embedded in it, plus a link to it as well, and you can vote for your top choice through the Google form. This is what has been changed from Joce’s awards last year, in which Twitter polls were used, because I don’t want to harm those who don’t have Twitter, both for voters and the nominees who don’t have a Twitter account/audience.
THE WINNER OF EACH AWARD CATEGORY (blogger with the most nominations for that category) PLUS THE RUNNER-UP WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN:
- When: during the week of August 4-10 (may be subject to change)
- What: A blog post announcing and dedicated to the winners and runners-up, with the amazing things you all have said about them!!
(Most of these are directly from Joce’s 2018 post.)
- All nominees MUST BE BOOK BLOGGERS. (That’s the point.)
- You do not have to be a book blogger to nominate/vote for others.
- You can nominate up to three (3) bloggers for each category.
- Make sure that the blogger(s) you nominate for each category actually fit that category. Please don’t make it so that I have to check each and every nomination!!
- Please try to nominate as many different bloggers as you can, instead of nominating the same ones over and over again!
- In your nominations, include the blogger’s name, their blog’s name, and a link to their blog. (Preferred format would be, for example, May @ Forever and Everly.) It isn’t required at all, but it would be so lovely if you wrote a description for each blogger on why you chose to nominate them for that category!
- You do not have to nominate a blogger for every category.
- To reiterate, you can nominate people by writing a post, or if absolutely necessary, in the comments below. Tag your nomination posts with #2019BookBloggerAwards and either link it back to this post or post the link in the comments to make sure that I see it.
Though most are pretty self-explanatory, please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions you might have about what these categories entail! Specific qualifications for certain categories are in parentheses, and note that most of these are from Joce’s 2018 awards, but I’ve added some as well.
BEST OF THEIR AGE
- Best Pre-Teen/Teen Book Blogger (13-19)
- Best Adult Book Blogger (20+)
BEST GENRE BLOGGERS
- Young Adult
- Middle Grade or Younger
- New Adult / General Adult
- Science Fiction / Fantasy
- Literary Fiction / Classics / Poetry
- Mystery / Thriller
BEST OF BOOK BLOGGING
- Best Book Reviews
- Best Book Recommendations
- Best Discussion Posts
- Best Blog Aesthetic
- Best Blogging/Writing Voice
- Most Engaged in the Community
- Best Social Media Influencer
- Best Personality
- Friendliest Member of the Community
- Best at Promoting Diverse Books
- Best New Book Blogger (started blog after August 2018)
- Best Small Book Blogger (under 1,000 followers) [two winners!]
- Best Overall Book Blogger [two winners!]
RECAP + EXTRAS
To make sure the biggest parts of this post are reinforced + some other important things I wanted to say:
- You have four (4) weeks to nominate bloggers, and one (1) week to vote for one blogger out of the top 5 for each category.
- Nominate bloggers by writing your own post and making sure I get the link to it. If absolutely necessary, you can submit nominations by commenting them on this post.
- The point of the awards is to recognize and appreciate book bloggers for their amazing work, and to support and promote them. That’s why it’s highly encouraged you make a post with your nominations, and it would be lovely to write descriptions on why you nominated them as well!
- Please please please try to include marginalized book bloggers in your nominations! Joce had a category for “Best Book Blogger From an Underrepresented/Minority Group” last year, but after some thought, I decided not to include it. I think boosting marginalized bloggers is incredibly important, but as a marginalized blogger myself, I didn’t feel comfortable including that category (for reasons I can explain if you’d like me to). So this is just a reminder to try and make sure your nominations are diverse, at least a little bit!!!
- I am also playing with the idea of giving “badges” to the winners?? There haven’t been any official prizes for the winners, so I thought badges to display or show off might be a cute little reward without being anything too much for me to handle, but I’m not sure if anyone would be interested? So if you are, LET ME KNOW!!! (On the right is a sample design I made, modeled after the graphic I made for this post! Don’t expect anything more complex/exceptional than this lmao.)
- It would be highly appreciated if you can spread the word about these awards! It’s more fun when more people are involved, and the more people are involved, the more bloggers get recognized! I’ll be promoting them on Twitter and Instagram, and you can simply retweet or repost, or make your own posts! Including it in monthly wrap-ups is also super helpful! (You can use the hashtag #2019BookBloggerAwards and share the custom URL bit.ly/2019BBADetails!!)
(Also, if anyone was wondering, you CAN and are completely, absolutely 100% required to vote for me. 😎💖)
will you be nominating or voting for any of your favorite bloggers? please do!!! and of course, feel free to ask any questions you might have! I hope these awards are fun and full of love and support, and I hope I can live up to what Joce has done before me!