For once, the month did NOT fly by!
This is most likely due to the fact that I had to return to HELL (synonymous with school) and it felt like each day just dragged by. I don’t even know if the amount of work I get is normal or not, because my school is an IB school, and I’ve heard that high school was actually harder than college for some of the graduates. So uh. That’s great for me.
And I thought that since I my reading slump started during summer when I had no school, I would magically un-slump when I went back to school, but NO. Reverse psychology only works against you apparently!!
I read 5 books this month. I hate slumping SO MUCH. The worst was when I didn’t read at all for about 2 weeks (and then at the end of the month I somehow managed to cram it all in?). Reading in different formats definitely helped, though! I read audiobooks, physical books, and ebooks.
I literally read only TWO books from my read-books-my-friends-recommended-me TBR and I am so ashamed of myself. (I also impulsively read The Lightning Thief even though I PROMISED myself I wouldn’t. I’m weak and a coward.)
I wanted to post my webcomic recs post this month, but I’m holding off until I read more webcomics, because I want to have a wide selection to choose from! (And I’m so mad I didn’t get to read some more this month when they are my go-to during slumps.)
- Sadie Courtney Summers // this was absolutely amazing (I think it would’ve been 5 stars had I not been slumping). beautiful, haunting, and just… so, so good ★★★★☆ [4.5]
- The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan // I’ve weirdly been a lot more obsessive over PJO lately and I couldn’t help myself I love it so much I’m going to cry just thinking about it ★★★★★
- Far From the Tree Robin Benway // this was so!! good!! it had me tearing up, and the family love had me SO emotional. it was really, really beautiful ★★★★☆
- SLAY Brittney Morris // I loved this one! such an important and entertaining read. characters and messages were so good ★★★★☆ [review]
- Every Heart a Doorway Seanan McGuire // I’M SO SAD ABOUT THIS!! I just think it wasn’t Enough, and I couldn’t connect to it and the characters as much as I wanted to. but the writing is beautiful! ★★☆☆☆ [2.5]
favorite & disappointing book?
I’m not going to choose The Lightning Thief as a favorite since it’s a reread and also, we been knew, but Sadie was absolutely amazing and might make it to my favorites of the year list! And obviously, my most disappointing book was Every Heart a Doorway, which I was convinced I would LOVE. I’m still continuing the series in hopes that I like it more (but even if I don’t, they’re SHORT), but I really expected to love it??
I didn’t get the chance to take a picture of it, but I’m in LOVE with my August haul!!
I got 7 books this month, which I think is my most this entire year so far, and I am so grateful for them all. 5 of them were from Penguin (Frankly In Love, The Stars and the Blackness Between Them, Ziggy, Stardust and Me, As Many Nows as I Can Get, and We Speak in Storms), one was from a giveaway I won (The Downstairs Girl), and the last was one my mom bought me for school (The Grief Keeper)!
- My friends and I are hosting a Legend readalong this month that you should totally join if you can or want to!!!
- The cover to The Electric Heir was revealed and it’s so gorgeous!! I need my hands on this book ASAP because the cliff-hanger KILLED me.
- Yeah that’s it I’m bad at keeping up with all the new things.
- I disappeared a bit because school was overwhelming me. Rather than having so much homework every day that I don’t have the time to blog, school just sucks all the energy and motivation from me that by the end of the school day, I have nothing left in me to blog.
- It’s a three-day weekend for me currently, so I’ve been catching up on your posts and comments! I’m hoping that I can figure something out for the future, so I don’t burn myself out, and I might try a schedule type thing where I reserve certain things (blog post writing, comment replying, and blog hopping) for certain days? We’ll see!!
I didn’t post as much as I hoped or wanted to this month, but I definitely have to say that my favorite was the 2019 Book Blogger Awards results post! I spent so much time on it, and it was worth it to be able to recognize these amazing bloggers.
- I started plotting my new WIP! I literally did not touch any writing-related thing until a few days before the end of the month on Wednesday, when I suddenly got really motivated to read and write and blog, and stayed up to make sure I got the most from it (currently writing this post on that Wednesday night).
- I haven’t done a lot at all, but I’m having fun experimenting by doing it all in a composition notebook instead of a Google doc. It means I can’t type demonically fast like I usually do, but switching things up is also good!!
- The most time I probably spent was making picrews of characters that didn’t even exist before (as in, “let’s make picrews of characters in my WIP but I don’t actually know who the characters are and haven’t developed anything about them yet”), and I’ll show them here because I LOVE PICREWS:
yes the gradient of the colors makes me very happy and yes they all look very gay because they are
- I went back to school. And I HATE it already. It’s just… so stressful and tiring and I hate that I care so much about how well I do because it puts so much pressure on myself! I’m lucky that my school has changed a bit of how they grade things (there aren’t late points anymore? which I am very confused about but grateful for), but it’s still a nightmare and has already affected me.
- I also had a few bad mental health days, which luckily passed. They were mostly due to school, but I think some were just my usual bad mental health days that I seem to have gotten every month.
- I rewatched all three seasons of H2O: Just Add Water, and it was an Experience. It’s like a weird… comfort show where I scream at the characters for being stupid and that’s the comforting part about it?? I don’t know, but I love it.
- My dance team’s rehearsals officially began! I’m in a lot more pieces this year, a lot more than I expected, and I don’t know how to feel about it? I also went to my first rehearsal for my solo, which I’ve learned a minute of and already really like!
- read 9 books ㄨ (9 books isn’t an unrealistic goal for me and yet I didn’t even get close!!)
- read more webcomics ㄨ
- write some mini reviews! ㄨ (I completely forgot this was a goal)
- stay on top of blogging ㄨ
- plot new WIP ✓ (barely, but I’m still counting it)
- stay on top of school ✓ (for the most part I’ve been really good at doing my work as soon as I get it)
- get a functional sleep schedule ㄨ (I uh. go to bed late during the week and then I pass out at like 9:30pm on the weekend because I’m so tired)
- read 9 books (please. PLEASE. I Have to read a guaranteed 6 books this month, for the Legend readalong, school, and ARCs, so just 3 MORE PLEASE)
- read more webcomics (I miss webcomics!! and I want to get that recs post up!!)
- figure out blogging schedule thing
- write more posts in advance
- plot half my WIP (I want to write it for NaNoWriMo so I really want to make sure I have things ready by November)
- don’t stress that much about grades (it’s been only like 4 weeks but I’m already getting so anxious about it, a lot more anxious than I usually do)
- keep procrastinating as little as possible (I’ve been pretty good at not procrastinating As Much in school so far and I’m proud of myself!!)
I feel like nothing exciting is happening in September? Like I could not tell you what’s happening, besides like school and dance, which is my usual.
I think the only abnormal thing happening is that one of my best friends is doing foreign exchange for at least half a year. It hasn’t quite sunk in yet that she’s leaving and I’m happy for her because I know she really wants to go, but I know I’m gonna miss her a lot!!
what did you do in August? how’s school/work for you? are you starting to prep for NaNoWriMo? tell me about the books you read recently!! will you be joining us for the Legend readalong?