It’s that time of year…
That time of year when I reflect on everything that happened and realized this year was a lot worse than I thought!!
In an effort to be more positive (because as you can see, I’m not very good at that), I’ve decided this year to take out the “least favorite” moments, because I’d rather not dwell on all of those. And I’m a little afraid there would be more of those than favorite moments.
Also, 2019’s special because it’s the end of a decade, so I decided to throw in some overall favorite moments of the decade as well! I was practically 2 years old at the start of the decade (I’m exaggerating!!!), so they’re all a bit more recent, but still important enough to me.
- Spending more time offline. I think this is really important to me, because while I’ve been inactive enough to make myself feel bad, I’ve also been just using that time to spend more time with people in real life. I hate to say it as an intr*vert, but hanging out with my friends is one of the things that’s made me happiest this year, and I’m really glad getting offline has helped me to be able to do that.
- Winning a writing contest! I know winning things aren’t the end-all, be-all of everything, and don’t determine your value or ability as a writer, but in academics I always feel like my writing isn’t super strong. With fiction, I just feel so much more comfortable, and winning a writing contest gives me all the validation and serotonin. (And money.)
- Skiing with my friend! For some reason, the mountains always makes me so so happy, and while I don’t think I could live there because of the isolation, it just holds some kind of peace that makes me feel monumentally better. I also loved skiing, and especially with one of my closest friends!
- Hosting the 2019 Book Blogger Awards! While there were definitely some things that were… not the best, to say the least, and I was very late in getting winner’s badges out, I loved seeing how happy people got from it. Boosting and supporting bloggers has always been my favorite thing.
- Rereading so many favorite books! My reading year was all over the place, if I’m being honest, but one of the best highlights was how many favorites I was able to reread. Being able to reread is one of my favorite things about reading in general, and I revisited so many new and old books I loved!! (In fact, I reread 18 books this year—almost 1/5 of my entire year’s reads…)
- Joining band class! This is a small thing, and something I get made fun of for by my friends (which I deserve), but I’ve really loved being in band this year. I was in art at the beginning of 2019, and it stressed me out terribly, so I took band instead this school year and I truly adore it. The class is laid-back, easy, and it’s really fun to play music for 1.5 hours at the end of the day! (Yes I’m a music nerd….)
- Watching Miraculous Ladybug. I know I’m annoying you all by constantly talking about this stupid kids’ show but I love it!!! It’s very stupid but I love it!!!!!!
- Blogging, first of all! 2017 was when I started my blog, and though I would rather die than look at the posts I used to write then (or even just last year), I’m still so so glad I started blogging. I feel like it has changed my life in monumental ways, and it’s brought me a lot of happiness overall.
- Making friends!! It’s very weird to think back five years ago to when I made the irl friends I’m the closest to right now, because it feels like such a long yet short amount of time. And of course I’ve made so many new friends online as well, and I’m so happy that I’ve met all of you!
- Being able to travel a lot! I’m very very lucky to have the travel opportunities I do, and over the last 10 years I’ve been able to go to a lot of places: Thailand, Japan, Canada, and various states in the US. Exploring these different places is an amazing experience, and I love to see what new cities and countries can offer.
- Reading some pretty great books. Granted, I was very VERY young at the beginning of the decade, so I don’t think I could have read any lifetime favorites at that age, but in the more recent years I found books that I know are going to stick with me forever!! (And I’m talking not just since I started blogging, but also 2012ish when I first read Percy Jackson. Yes I’m a slut for the PJO series, mind your business!!!)
- Growing as a person! This decade was when I entered my teen years (I’m a baby I KNOW), but it’s not just my physical growth that I’m proud of. Having to look at myself or the things I did/made before last year brings me pain like no other, and I’m very happy I’ve grown to be the person I am today. I have a lot of developing left (especially in terms of the *motions to brain to demonstrate frequent moments of stupidity*), but I’m excited!!! The new decade brings a lot of new things and hopefully I’ll only grow and improve!
what were your favorite moments of 2019? do you remember any favorite moments of the decade? have you been able to travel anywhere exciting? what are your favorite books of the decade!!