Well, 2021’s off to a great start already…
Any small nugget of optimism I might have had for the year is now aimed entirely at my own personal growth instead of having any optimism for, for example, the state of the world. So I guess the timing of this post is perfect in that sense, since this is all about me and what I want to do/achieve in 2021, as well as a look back on how I did on my goals for 2020!
I actually did surprisingly okay with my 2020 goals, but I’m happy with whatever I managed to accomplish. The entire world went through… a lot during 2020, so it isn’t fair to beat myself up for losing sleep or not writing enough or whatever other arbitrary thing I wanted to do. (And I hope you aren’t being too harsh on yourself either!!)
- Read 100 books. ✓ I did it! I always end up reaching 100 no matter what (and that IS a threat), so this isn’t really much of a surprise, but I’m still proud of myself regardless.
- Actually start writing reviews again! ✗ I kind of got back into review writing during the summer, but then I went back to school and I unsurprisingly slacked again. I counted that I wrote about 22 reviews, which is only barely over a fifth of the books I read!
- Keep better track of my reads. ✓ I’ve never been more on top of it, honestly! I love obsessively filling out my reading spreadsheet and saying it’s because I have “nothing to do” while having 10 assignments due.
- Reread whatever I want. ? Rereading this year was weird for me? I had intentions to reread a lot of books, but whenever I thought I would pick them up next, I just… lost my motivation. So I would have let myself reread whatever I wanted to, but I just kind of. lost my want to reread. (Which never happens!)
- Finish a WIP. ✗ I didn’t get even close to finishing a full novel. But I think I did grow more as a writer in terms of prose this year, and that growth matters more to me!
- Write more poetry. ✗ I wrote a few poems in the earlier months of the year, but not as many as I would have liked and none since then. But again, I think my writing was just… better than years before, so I’m happy with what little I did create.
- Write 50K words. ✓ You know what, I got pretty close. I’d say I got maybe 45k words so I’m counting this as a win!! Let me have this, I got 90% there and 2020 is fake anyway!!
- Reach 2,400 followers. ✓ I’m kind of… looking at my follower count in awe now, because I’m at (over) 2,600 followers! I set the goal of 2,400 because I thought 2,500 would have been a stretch, but apparently not. Thank you thank you thank you for supporting me!!
- Actually interact. ✓ I’m doing a lot better at replying to comments, commenting back, blog hopping, etc. than in 2019, so yes, I did do this! I could always of course be doing more but… that’s the overachiever in me.
- Host the 2020 Book Blogger Awards! ✓ So this was much less of a “goal” than a plan, but hey I did it! Celebrate the tiny wins in 2020.
- Just. be good to myself. ✓ Surprisingly, I was! I usually beat myself up in terms of replying to comments or commenting on blog posts—I’m afraid I don’t do enough to support other bloggers when that is something really important to me—but I was able to overlook my small shortcomings and be proud of what I did get around to doing!!
- Practice self-care. ✓✗ In terms of actual hygiene like skincare and showering, I’m doing a lot better!! (It’s all thanks to habit trackers, honestly.) In terms of sleep and hydration… I’ll just say that two weeks ago I was consistently going to bed at 4am every day.
- Listen to and play more music! ✓✗ I unfortunately stopped playing piano/drums towards the end of the year, but I did listen to more music! I may have played songs on repeat instead of listening to a variety of artists but still!
Get a job!I couldn’t have predicted that a pandemic would leave thousands of people unemployed and prevent me from being able to safely go out, so this goal doesn’t really count anymore because of circumstances.
- Prep for college. ✓✗ I don’t really care to elaborate on this one, because thinking about it stresses me out too much, but I definitely could and should have done better with this!
NEW 2021 GOALS
- Read 100 books. My goal is always set at 100 books, and 2021’s no exception! I think this year will be very demanding for me school-wise, but keeping it at 100 instead of lowering it will just push me to seek other, shorter types of books that aren’t novels (ie. graphic novels, novellas) that I want to read more of.
- Read more diversely. I mean this in two ways: I want to continue to diversify the authors I read from, specifically race. And I want diversify the genres/age groups as well and read more adult, more middle grade, more non-fiction, etc.!
- Review at least 50% of what I read. I really love writing reviews, and I want to do more of it!! Writing full, multi-paragraph reviews takes a lot of time for me, so bullet point or single paragraph reviews are fine if only that’s what I can manage. As long as I just write more reviews!
- Draft a novel. We’ll see what happens with this, considering my heavier workload at school… But I just really want a project that I fully stick with throughout the year and end up finishing, a project I’m completely passionate about and will see through until the end.
- Write poetry again. I used to write so many poems years ago, and though they were all quite terrible (even worse than Amanda Lovelace terrible), I really miss the special kind of expression it allowed me and want to get back into it!!
- Write more in general. Though I’ve always taken writing seriously, because I have dreams that it’ll go somewhere one day, I feel even more serious about it now? And I don’t know, I want to practice it often, hone my craft, indulge in my art—I just love writing and I want to do more of it!
- Reach 3,000 followers. I’m kind of in shock that I can put 3,000 followers down as a goal and have it be a (somewhat) realistic one…? We’ll see if I can actually reach this, especially since I know I’ll have to take more hiatuses this year, but god!! Thank you all so much for helping me get to a point where 3,000 followers is within reach!!!
- Rebrand. I haven’t had that fully satisfied feeling with my blog for a while now, in terms of design and branding. While my content has changed with me these past few years, other aspects of my blog haven’t, and I want my blog to reflect me as I am today. So I’d like to change things up!! (I also have been feeling uncomfortable with some blogs I’ve seen that resemble mine, so hopefully distancing myself from my current look will help with that.)
- Write posts in advance. This is so helpful for when I’m running low on time, inspiration, or energy, especially when I have a busy school workload and don’t want to worry about not getting a blog post up. I think this will be very hard for me to achieve but I shall stupidly try anyway <33
(I have more goals than these three, but some are more personal/I don’t need to share them so it’s just these three!)
- Continue learning Thai! In 2020, I started learning Thai again, and I want to continue that in 2021. Specifically, I’d like to learn all the letters of the alphabet and the tone rules, be able to read and write it with a basic fluency, and also expand my vocabulary!!
- Listen to and play more music. I think this year is going to be all about indulging in my passions, whether it be writing or language or music. I truly miss playing piano and I want to learn some songs on my own since I’m not taking lessons anymore! I also want to listen to a new artist every month, because I tend to get attached to one and just play them on repeat.
- Sleep and drink more water. These are the two very big things I want to get better at in regards to self-care. I’m just so terrible at sleeping enough, especially with school, and properly hydrating myself. So hopefully my habit trackers can save me!!!
how did you do on your 2020 goals, if you had any? are you setting any for 2021? do you have a Goodreads goal?